+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default How to find the right balance?

For the single parents who work, how do you find balance? I am struggling with how to fit in family time, earning enough to keep going and having the time to enjoy life.

Today I purposely didn't answer my phone as I needed time to clean house, spend time with DS and do homework etc.

Most days we get home about 4pm. Then its rushing around organising dinner, bit of washing or whatever, talk to DS about his day and let him have a play before dinner but we don't have time for homework as we do dinner about 5ish, then we have bath time then its bed no later than 6:30pm as DS really doesn't cope with a later bed time as we usually have to get up at 5 and I will usually let DS sleep later until I get myself ready for work.

I am struggling big time. I am starting to feel so lost with everything including myself atm.

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think what saves me is that i work 9-3 and DS doesnt go to bed til about 8.30-9pm so i get lots of afternoon, night time together. I dont think i would cope very well if he needed to go to bed hours earlier.

Could you leave all washing / cleaning til after he went to bed so that you could then do homework or spend time together?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok this is what I do to try and get some balance- I'm seeing that for you it's mainly the night time rush, I pick dd up from kindy and talk about her day in the car no radio or distractions. I het home about 6ish When I get home I'll start organizing dinner ask her I'd she wants to help me or play for a bit. If she wants to help we continue talking about whatever she wants.
    Once dinner stated its bath/ shower then more play till dinner. We eat read stories do homework then bed time. She will sometimes watch tv with her uncle when he is home.
    I try to keep it all structured for working week as she needs it that way but days off work. I'll clean the house for a bit then we always do something even just a picnic or go to the park
    Hope that helps - once you get used to working it seems to all fall in place and is normal it's the first couple of months that are harder.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Just this week I did Sunday til 10, Monday 7am til 1:30pm Tuesday 1:30pm til 10pm and Wednesday 7am til 1:30pm but we didn't get home til 4 as I had running around to do. Doing back to back shifts of late then early really messes me around and I am exhausted hence why I didn't go today but back on tomorrow at 6:45am til 3pm.

I am trying to organise a cleaner but I really don't know in the end if it will help or not.

It just seems like I have taken too much on but can't stop it. I am only casual at work and need to take whatever I can get but we spend so much time on buses travelling to and from home. I haven't even had time to go for ny learners and I want to go so we can save time when I can drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Im studying teacher aid (ed support cert III) for this reason. I need to be home with DD outside school hours (partly because she has disabilities and partly because i still want to be a mum) so 9-3 hrs are all i can see myself managing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinOnAPrayer View Post
    Im studying teacher aid (ed support cert III) for this reason. I need to be home with DD outside school hours (partly because she has disabilities and partly because i still want to be a mum) so 9-3 hrs are all i can see myself managing
    I think when I chose my path, I was thinking long long term of something, not at this time in our life.

I ran out of time today but going to call around different places and ask what sort of hours and if they are hiring etc.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

LivinOnAPrayer  (03-08-2012)