+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Adoption Qld

How does adoption work in Qld? We would want to adopt an Australian child. I looked on the DoCs website but it doesn't tell you much about the process.

How do they match you with a baby?

Also, how do you bond with the baby? Can't help feeling like I wouldn't feel like it was my baby & I'd be waiting for someone to come & take it back.

Dh isn't keen on adopting, but I'm just exploring all the options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Adopting in Australia is extremely hard, and is infrequent. There are thousands of potential parents on waiting lists in QLD and tens of children- if that. You're matched by sitting on the waiting list for many, many years and hoping you number is pulled.

You also have to sit through interview and counselling, so if your DH isn't interested, then that would pose an obvious issue.

You would have a better chance of a successful adoption by looking at overseas options or becoming a foster carer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Does anyone know how long it ususally takes for your file to move to assessment stage from when you submit your Expression of Interest form? And how do they select which files are chosen for assessment? It kinda sounds like they just select randomly as long as you're on the register?? (I'm in Qld, looking at Intercountry adoption).

It's a shame they're not doing Info sessions at the moment. I should have gone to one years ago when we first started looking into it! I have a million questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks luna love good! That's what I suspected, good to have confirmation.

I guess we will have to start saving for IVF with PGD & hope that one day we can afford it. If I don't loose my job, that is (stupid QLd government).

Thanks
    Reviews
    What if my partner has a child that the mother has signed over parental rights to.
    How do I then addopt as mother and does anyone know do we get a new birth cert saying I am the mother?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TDMDB View Post
    What if my partner has a child that the mother has signed over parental rights to.
    How do I then addopt as mother and does anyone know do we get a new birth cert saying I am the mother?
    Thanks
    TDMDB if you are married to your partner then you may be able to do a step-parent adoption. Info is here: http://www.qld.gov.au/community/cari...ng-step-child/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Heartstringz, we live in Qld. Our two little boys joined our family via Intercountry Adoption. I can't say for local adoptions but in our case children are matched to the family very well. The particular needs of that child, if you and your husband can best meet those needs, then they will match the child to your family. I know for the local program, you don't normally get a baby as in a new born. I know a family who was matched with a 9mth old and another family matched with a 2 1/2 yr old.

You have to be both committed to adoption because it is a very long drawn out process, can take years! In our case we bonded and attached easily. Our first boy was a breeze but our second little fellow struggled for a couple of years but he's great now

Anything you want to know with Intercountry Adoption, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Twocam- thank you for that info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

New to this! Can anyone tell me where they get the babies? Chelle

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chellepearl View Post
    Hi,

New to this! Can anyone tell me where they get the babies? Chelle
    From women who cannot or do not wish to keep their babies- where else?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

SpecialK  (28-09-2013)