+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sick of breastfeeding (17 months)

Just tired of being "touched out", feeling like I am the sum of my boobs, still waking several times per night. I remember thinking around 3am this morning - get this kid a bottle and her own bed, stat! (We co sleep). I dunno, maybe just worn out after 7 night's poor sleep. No family around to help/give me a break. Husband is as good as he can be but why don't men breastfeed? They just don't "get" how hard it can be!

Maybe I should try to cut down feeds. I'm worried I'll regret it though.
    Anyone really gotten sick of breastfeeding but then worked through it and continued to feed? Or weaned around this age (17 months) with no regrets? Does she still *need* my milk? Love to hear any of your stories.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My advice to to not wean while in the middle of a touched out faze, work though it and see how you feel after.

All the best I know how you feel sometimes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could have wrote your exact post but my DD is 25 months! I'm soooo over it! She can't feed without pinching the other side and I'm just covered in scratchs from her. It is the only thing that gets her to sleep though so I have no idea how to wean! If you figure out how let me know lol

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also agree not to wean when going through a touched out phase, as it may pass.

However, if you still feel over it after some time has passed, it might be an idea to night wean but feed on demand during the day? I was required to night wean recently (DS2 is almost 15 months) for medical reasons, and I honestly feel a lot more positive about breastfeeding compared to prior.

My DS2 was waking a million times a night to feed, and I can't sleep while he suckles, unlike most!

We night weaned slowly, using a method similar to Jay Gordon's.

*Hugs*, you are doing a good job!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Perhaps the issue of breastfeeding and bed sharing is getting confused with night wakings/feeding? I can understand why you'd be sick of the night wakings and bed sharing.

At 18 months old children have the ability to sleep through if we let them. Bub is probably waking for a feed out of habit.

Perhaps if you work to cut the night feeds and put bub in own bed so You can get some rest... You might start enjoying the remaining breastfeeds. There might be a bit of crying at the start but hang in there. Comforter and a sippy cup of water may help.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds was the same, he woke hourly.

I started night weaning at 16 months but he got sick so we went back to all night nursing but

At 17 months if you are ready limitations can start to be put in place (instead of fully weaning)

If you wish to continue it doesnt have tl be one or the other.

I wouls suggest attempting to night wean first (get a non spill sipper bub likes and offer water)

It.was hard and ds did tanty the first few nights but it qas no harder than all night nursing.

Ds was cut down by me to 3x a day (morning, midday and bed) at that age as he would prefer to nurse over food and i was over it.

He is 26 months now ans we are.still nursing

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you've done a fantastic job to feed up to 17 mths!!! If you weaned now Bubba would be fine, you have given him alot more than other bubba's can sometimes get. Some don't get BF at all for different reasons. You've started solids for a while now probably so alot of the nutrition will come from foods aswell, so Maybe just start concentrating on the healthy foods you can feed and possible express one bottle a day to wean slowely

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Blondi83 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for your answers & support It helped remind me of the parenting motto.. "This too shall pass..." and it has, for now. Bub has dropped back to normal feeds, once before sleep and on waking and a couple through the day - thank goodness. I can handle that. I am the same Witwicky in that I can't sleep through the actual feeding - so the night feeds can be a challenge - !
    So glad I didn't push for weaning - thanks again all.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

headoverfeet  (06-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (06-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    DS will be 19 months this month and it goes in cycles for both of us, sometimes he breastfeeds so much I cringe at the thought of the next feed, sometimes he can go all day without.

He is waking in the night at the moment with a cold and teething, a quick feed gets him back to sleep quickly.

This will pass, they won't be feeding forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned my son at 19 months, but at 23 months he still wants to touch my boobs for reassurance when falling asleep. I don mind enough to stop him as I know it will pass, but I would really like my nipples back already! My point is, just because you wean doesn't mean you will not feel touched out. I would persevere until you know it is the right time for bub as it sounds like bub still loves a good bf! :-)