+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cost of scans?

Hiya

Do u need to pay for the scans? NT scan and 20 week scan?

I'm in Canberra and I am 7 weeks pregnant.

Not sure if free of not!

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    depends if you're a private patient or a public patient. even tho you may be private and pay thru the nose for your cover, you will pay more being private than public for scans..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm public but assumed its free but read somewhere that may have to pay! It's all so confusing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    im not sure about canberra, but in qld you do have to pay.. you do get about half back from medicare so it's not too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In SA it depends where you go. If you go to the radiology section in the public hospital it's free (was for both my NT and 20wk scan), longer waits (book early!) and I only got printed images ie no CD or videos. If you go to a private radiology clinic in a private hospital, or off site in a private building, then you will pay. May be different in Canberra.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going private, and paid $236 for my NT scan and $260 for my morphology scan, I think I got about $60 back from the first scan, not sure about the second one yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im in qld and have had 3 scans which were all free (8wks, 13wks, 19 weeks). I see a bulk bill GP who gave me a referral for each scan & i had the scans at a radiology place. I have no private health just medicare.

Ask your gp they usually have some idea of the cost or might be able to tell u the best place to go that bulk bill medicare items (i was told with medicare ur entitled to 1 scan each trimester or something like that?)

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Public for me. I paid for the NT scan only all others are free through the hospital. Cost $160 approx. Got se back on medicare can't remember how much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by larissa88 View Post
    Public for me. I paid for the NT scan only all others are free through the hospital. Cost $160 approx. Got se back on medicare can't remember how much.
    In Melbourne VIC

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends. I'm in Melb also and For my 12 week scan, we were referred to a private place by my GP & ended up paying around $260. (Which annoyed me as I'd asked repeatedly to be referred public). I was referred back to the same place for my 20 week scan by my OB and apparently because the hospital had referred me, they billed them instead.

Since then all my scans have taken place at the hospital & I haven't paid a cent. ( I'm getting fortnightly scans to check for the risk of twin to twin transfusion)