+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you or partner have Bipolar Disorder?

Anyone or their partner on the hub have Bipolar?

Can you please describe your presentation of symptoms? (I understand about the disorder, and know the standard symptoms... Im more interested in personal examples and stories)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My BFF has quite severe bipolar which is controlled by medication.
    She has furious obsessions (food and sex) and debilitating lows (self harmer, suicidal).
    She is also a fantastic teacher! She has very vigorous counselling regularly and her medication is reviewed quite often to make sure things are under control.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have just received a diagnosis of bipolar 2 disorder. Thankfully myself and my gp were able to pick up on the symptoms emerging and getting worse over the past 12-18 months. And I have just had the diagnosis confirmed by a psychiatrist. My depressive episodes get quite bad and I usually self harm when I am down. When I an on a high my worst habit is that I seem to think a have unlimited resources to pay off debt and go on major shopping sprees on my credit card.
    My anxiety also gets worse when I am on a high, I generally chew the skin around my fingers until they are bleeding and a few other things.
    At the moment I am just on cymbalta and avanza to manage the depression and anxiety, I can't take mood stabilisers at the moment as I an pregnant, but I was on lamictal prior to getting pg.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister does. It was really hard to see before she got diagnosed. She hid her depression really well and we're grateful she when to the school counsellor who helped my parents get in touch with the right people. Unfortunately she did shallowly cut her thighs and has small scars. She's very clever and only has the lesser form but will still be on medication for the rest of her life.

Random everyday symptoms included at times being really closed in and locked in her room - mainly on the internet late at night, going from really really chatty to quiet, and impulse decisions. She buys a lot of what adds she sees or copy's what you do. Also before her medication stabilised her moods she would go from happy to sad in an instant. Also she seemed to lie a little or exaggerate the truth - and could become quite obsessive.

She was diagnosed when she was about 17 after she nearly walked into traffic on her way to school but the took herself to the counsellor for help. It's believed that it's hereditary (we found our several cousins have it and the family kept it from us) and was most likely brought on by emotional trauma, in this case childhood bullying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm also interested to hear. I Am trying to find a way to get help for my sil.... The symptoms above sound v familiar.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dad has bipolar 2. I can tell you how he was for many many years before being treated.
    Drug addict and alcoholic
    Addicted to shopping and big spending sprees he could not afford
    Said he wanted to die/life wasn't worth living. Neglected his own health entirely.
    Was really into conspiracy theories (still is!) And avoided "the system". Eg regular employment, paying taxes, doctors, hospitals, the legal sytem..
    Had aggressive outburts.
    Was very confrontational with strangers if things didn't meet his expectations. (though very gentle as a dad)
    Had very over the top plans and dreams eg we would be flat broke and he would be planning a trip around Australia and be 100% serious
    Changed jobs constantly or just didn't work at all for various reasons.
    Went "walk about" .. would go away and not come back for a few weeks as he would get swept up in some adventure or something stupid.
    He was a very loving father who cared enormously for us. But his disorder made for a very dysfunctional childhood. I would urge anyone to get treated. He is a whole different person now than he used to be.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    my mum, my sister, sil and a couple friends have it. basically what people are describing. lies, obsessing, deep depression, illusion of deep pockets and absolutely needing things they dont really need, suicidal or self harming tendencies, high highs, really low lows, always needing to be centre of attention, and the clouded belief that once their medication starts working they start to think they dont need their meds anymore. then the cycle starts again.

you constantly walk on eggshells and have to watch what you say and do around them. its just become normal to me now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    My dad has bipolar 2. I can tell you how he was for many many years before being treated.
    Drug addict and alcoholic
    Addicted to shopping and big spending sprees he could not afford
    Said he wanted to die/life wasn't worth living. Neglected his own health entirely.
    Was really into conspiracy theories (still is!) And avoided "the system". Eg regular employment, paying taxes, doctors, hospitals, the legal sytem..
    Had aggressive outburts.
    Was very confrontational with strangers if things didn't meet his expectations. (though very gentle as a dad)
    Had very over the top plans and dreams eg we would be flat broke and he would be planning a trip around Australia and be 100% serious
    Changed jobs constantly or just didn't work at all for various reasons.
    Went "walk about" .. would go away and not come back for a few weeks as he would get swept up in some adventure or something stupid.
    He was a very loving father who cared enormously for us. But his disorder made for a very dysfunctional childhood. I would urge anyone to get treated. He is a whole different person now than he used to be.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub
    sounds identical to a friend who is bipolar as well as ADHD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lw1981 View Post
    my mum, my sister, sil and a couple friends have it. basically what people are describing. lies, obsessing, deep depression, illusion of deep pockets and absolutely needing things they dont really need, suicidal or self harming tendencies, high highs, really low lows, always needing to be centre of attention, and the clouded belief that once their medication starts working they start to think they dont need their meds anymore. then the cycle starts again.

you constantly walk on eggshells and have to watch what you say and do around them. its just become normal to me now
    It's funny, I just read the last sentence of this and my hackles went up a bit. But then when I thought about it I realised you were right. Admittedly when I am on mood stabilizers aswell as the AD I am not as sensitive but at the moment being just on AD a small comment will tend to throw me off into the deep end for a while. It does make it a bit hard sometimes because I am yet to actually tell anyone, even DH, that I have been given this diagnosis, unfortunately people still do not understand mental health issues and they still associate bipolar with the old school image of 'manic depression' and imagine me dancing naked in the rain with a tin foil hat on.

I also think that there needs to be more education surrounding the difference between bipolar 1 and bipolar 2. Bipolar 2 does not have the same delusions and hallucination type aspects that are so common in bipolar one, the high's are referred to as hypomanic episodes instead of manic episodes because they are not as severe as the manic episodes in bipolar 1. Bipolar 2 sufferers are often very high functioning and often are quite successful in work etc. because of the hypomanic episodes. However the depressive episodes in bipolar 2 are often much more severe and long lasting than those in bipolar 1. They have a higher rate of suicide attempts than bipolar 1 and are more likely to self harm. It bugs me when people put all types of bipolar in the one basket. It's like putting all forms of autistic spectrum disorder under the banner of just Autism.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Grebbeci View Post
    It's funny, I just read the last sentence of this and my hackles went up a bit. But then when I thought about it I realised you were right. Admittedly when I am on mood stabilizers aswell as the AD I am not as sensitive but at the moment being just on AD a small comment will tend to throw me off into the deep end for a while. It does make it a bit hard sometimes because I am yet to actually tell anyone, even DH, that I have been given this diagnosis, unfortunately people still do not understand mental health issues and they still associate bipolar with the old school image of 'manic depression' and imagine me dancing naked in the rain with a tin foil hat on.
    I'm glad you understood what I meant. I have found tht the peoplein my life dont take their meds properly and as a result you dont always know what state of mind they will be in. I dont know what type any of them have. But I have found that with my mum and sister, you hve to be careful with exactly how you word things beccause they can suddenly take offence or take what you said the total opposite of what you meant. eg "dont go overboard with the kids for christmas this year" becomes "so I'm not good enough to spend $500 each on the grandkids, or isnt my money good enough for you, or you dont love me anymore and you dont want me to buy your kids anything, well then fine go to h3ll see if I care", when it was simply meant " don't go overboard because you buy so much that we dont have anything left to buy them ourselves especially since you cant afford o spend that much anyway and they need to learn that christmas isnt about spending lots of money. or another example "are you gonna have dinner too" becomes "why cos i am such a fat slob and all I do is eat!" when it was meant as "you have diabete's and you need to eat regularly to even out your blood sugars and I know you havent eaten all day and I know you dont eat regularly if at all."
    I have learnt to walk on egg shells simply because a tiny innocent comment lead to her trying to overdose with a bottle of pills and alcohol and me having to call the police and ambulance after she took off in the car which is not the only time something like that as happened. my sister does the same sort of thing.

yet I have a friend who is always happy. like realy really happy. spends like no tommorrow, puts his all into everything he does but when things fail gets really really depressed, but to my knowledge is not a self harmer, just thinks well to hell with it I'll just spend more, or does stupid things without caring about the consequences cos he has just lost all motivation.

I know it is a mental disorder, I just wish they would continue taking their medications properly, even when they start feeling like they dont need it anymore.

Dont worry, I dont imagine anyone with bipolar or whatever dancing around wearing tin foil hats

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Grebbeci  (02-08-2012)