+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do you think this is an obsession?

Ok this is the story...

My friend whom has had a tough last few years is back on track this year or perhaps not! She all of a sudden has decided to go on a health kick and vigorous exercise regime. She has lost 13kgs in the past 4mths and I get the impression she intends to lose even more, she does not look healthy, she looks gaunt and underweight (she was not that overweight to begin with and she is 54yrs old) It has got to the point that all she talks about is the exercise she has done that day, her facebook comments are always about excercise including picture posts from a exercise motivated web site. An example of her day is; 5am she goes for a 5km run then boot camp for an hour at 6.30-7.30 then work and then 2 night classes of cardio, pump, cycle or whatever is going at night. Then she states her intentions to start all over again tomorrow. It's turned into an obsession. I'm worried about her.

Now I am quite health concious myself, I eat well and I exercise but I would never over do it. I think if it gets to a point where it's all you think about and it rules your life as it is hers it's not healthy and you have issues.

I await your thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes, it does I mean, it's great to be that motivated but I know what it's like to cross the line with exercise/diet/body stuff. Yet I have no advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    When it gets to the point where it is all she thinks about, then im afraid it is an obsession.
    Exercise addiction is a real illness, maybe try googling for some info? Sorry I haven't got more helpful advice.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeymourTheBear For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (01-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Want2TTC View Post
    When it gets to the point where it is all she thinks about, then im afraid it is an obsession.
    Exercise addiction is a real illness, maybe try googling for some info? Sorry I haven't got more helpful advice.
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i've known quite a few women through my anorexia group who were exercise addicts. as ana gram says, it releases endorphins which are quite addictive.
    i would sit her down and gently tell her you are worried, point out that she needs to focus on maintenance (not losing weight) and encourage her to speak to someone; family, gp, support group.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok so after reading your replies I have been doing some research on the net and came across an article by a sports psychologist. In short he says;

We are all told to get plenty of exercise, but when should you stop? We have just proven that too much exercise can actually be bad for your body. But what can it do for your mind? Can you really become an exercise junkie?

After studying athletes to find out how exercise effects the way they think and feel it revealed that depriving 60 athletes of the daily training schedule showed not only did their anger and depression go up but also the fatigue.

Going cold turkey on exercise can produce similar withdrawal symptoms to hard drugs. That's because intense exercise releases endorphins, our bodys natural opiates giving us so called highs!

Exercise junkies take their fitness to the extreme but what are the warning signs your habit has turned into an addiction?
    Do you need longer, more intense workouts to get your daily hit?
    do you feel tired and irritated when you miss a session?
    when you get a minor injury do you keep going?
    Are your friendships, work commitments or relationships starting to take second place?

If you stated yes to any of the above then you need to take a long hard look at your approach to exercise.

People with addictions tend to deny them.

Here are some tips for balanced training;
    Ensure you leave enough recovery time for your system between bouts of exercise
    slip a few low intensity workouts in between the hard ones
    alternate days for running and days for light walking and swimming.
    make sure to fuel up with a good combo of carbs, protein and fat.

Conclusion
    yes, too much exercise can be bad for your health, in more ways than one but that's no excuse to stop all together. You need to keep your training sessions to a sensible length, try and build up your fitness slowly and listen to your body - it will soon tell you when you have gone too far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hope your friend can see what she's doing before she hurts herself. x
    Last edited by MissPoss; 08-08-2012 at 10:05.