+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Long haul plane travel - what are your hand luggage must haves??

In exactly a month time, I'll be flying over to Australia alone with 2.5 yo DD and 13 month old DS

Total flying time will be 21 hours - 14 from Heathrow to Singapore and then 7 from Singapore to Sydney. There will be a 2.5 hour stop over in Singapore too.

For those that have flown, what are your hand luggage must haves? I'll have a trunki suitcase for DD and a large nappy bag (and my large, it's like a mini suitcase ). Obviously I'll be packing loads of nappies/pull ups (DD isn't fully potty trained yet, was planning to make the most of the hot weather and my mother's help in Sydney!). I'm guessing my biggest concerns are snacks, medications (paracetamol etc) and entertainment!

What worked for you, and what should I totally avoid? Your help will be very muchly appreciated!!! xx

Last edited by TheCatsMeow; 01-08-2012 at 21:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We bought new small toys and only brought them out now and then.
    Stickers. A couple of books. A few small toys. Sleeping bag and sleeping teddy. Paper and pencils.
    We are doing a long haul soon too. We are flying Singapore airlines and noticed that on some planes they have a USB connection for the entertainment unit. Go on website if your airline and see if they have that option. I am planning on putting some mike the knights and other tv shows on it to watch. Dh has iPad which we may also put some shows on. Have put some interactive books on it as well.
    We also pack snacks in snap lock bags. Non perishable snacks etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Don't count on it being hot here in Sydney!!!

My suggestion is to put loads of new books, toys, stickers, etc to entertain your daughter. I think the 13 month old is going to be harder to deal with on a plane.

Good luck and enjoy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Don't count on it being hot here in Sydney!!!

My suggestion is to put loads of new books, toys, stickers, etc to entertain your daughter. I think the 13 month old is going to be harder to deal with on a plane.

Good luck and enjoy
    It's 17 degrees here in Sheffield and it's a typical summer's day, so anything warmer is a welcome bonus, especially when I get there in September!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my baby will be 14 months at xmas when we travel around asia for a month and a half. i've been reading up on baby travel websites and these are some of the ideas i'm going to use;

peek-a-boo bags (will buy some for her and bring them out on the plane)
    pouch food
    panadol (unopened for security)
    cheap umbrella stroller
    baby wrap sling (that can double as a throw rug, cloth)
    some felt toys in the shape of foods (eg. hamburgers, sandwiches)

and the one thing i can't leave home without - ipad. this will serve her and my 10yo son as well!

here are some links to good sites
    www.flyingwithbaby.com
    www.travelswithbaby.com
    and
    havebabywilltravel.com (great site)

things i wouldn't take (from personal experience with my son)
    any toys with lots of bits
    crayons, textas, pencils etc.
    anything that makes noise (music toys etc.)