+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Perineum 5 weeks post forceps delivery. Is this the new 'normal'? TMI alert.

Well, it is now 5 weeks after the birth of DS2 (DD1 born by emergency C/S, so this is was my first vaginal birth). I truly wasn't prepared for what I would go through after my VBAC - the immense and significant pain immediately following the birth, not being able to walk properly for 4 weeks and counting, the swelling around my perineum etc that seems to worsen when I walk more than 10 minutes, incontinence, and constant tingling discomfort around my urethra - I was way too concerned about getting the said VBAC in the first place! I know that by having a forceps delivery this increased the injury and pain, but it is still a shock - noone seems to talk about Stage 4!

The reason I decided to have a VBAC in the first place was to quicken my recovery time, but it has been the same as my C/S. I wasn't able to interact with my 3 year old at all for 3 weeks, as I was mostly in bed/couch from the pain and discomfort. I'm sure this isn't a normal case, as friends I know were off to zoo's or walking their bubs the week they left hospital.

I have just taken my first look at 'the area' and wondered whether this is the 'new normal', or whether things eventually get back to the way they were before a VB. I had a second degree tear, to about 1mm from my backside and a labial tear, and the whole area looks like it has dropped down (perineum and backside) - so in other words, it still looks really swollen. It is significant enough that I now walk differently.

Hence the reason for my post. I am in need of some personal feedback from those who have had a forceps delivery! Did your privates get back to normal eventually, or will I have to learn to walk a little differently so people don't think I have something stuck where it shouldn't be!!??

I have been doing kegals several times a day, which does seem to be helping the healing, but they also make the area around my urethra tingle in discomfort and I still can't manage to hold my pee when I go to the loo. I guess I do have a way to go, but I would love to get out to run after my spirited pre-schooler and do some proper exercise one day soon.

Sorry for the rant. I am just sick to death of myself at the moment! Humfthp!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've had 2 forceps deliveries but the swelling only lasted a few days and I never had any issues with walking. Fingers crosse your on the mend soon, you should be having a 6
    Week checkup soon, maybe you could ask about it then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am sorry you are in so much pain.
    I had a forcep delivery and large episiotomy with my first ds. I had a week of salt baths and ultrasound physio which I believe was a godsend.
    I healed really well though and the discomfort didn't last long at all. I never had swlling or problems walking. And yes it all went back to absolute normal! I had a less complicated short quick labour with ds2 and a small episiotomy in which I didn't need either the salt baths or the physio. Have you had your 6week check up yet??

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are in that much discomfort still I'd probably head in early for the 6 week check up just to make sure everything is ok and that there is no infection or injury to the area. Any swelling should really have gone down by now forceps delivery or not. My first was a forceps delivery and I did have discomfort for a few weeks and months after but it turned out alot of that was actually (TMI!) haemmeroids which must have resulted from the effort of pushing - that did make sitting and walking for long periods painful and uncomfortable. I hadn't had them before so didn't realise that's what it was and initially thought the pain was from my stitches - not sure if that could also be the cause of some of your swelling? It was also 12 months until having sex was comfortable which I put down to a combination of factors being the episiotomy, forceps delivery and breastfeeding. But it did eventually get back to normal.

I do remember now also the discomfort around the urethra too, did you have a catheter? That's what I blamed that on but I don't really know.

Hope you are feeling better soon, looking after a newborn is tough when you are not feeling 100% yourself.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat13 For This Useful Post:

Angiebear74  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The pain and swelling you have at 5 weeks sound a little excessive. I am wondering if you have a haematoma (collection of blood) in the tissues. It would be worth getting checked soon. Can you feel touch on your skin of perineum or is it tingly/numb?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had loads of stitches with ds1 but nothing like the persistent swelling though. Got a good tip from a friend though, fill a condom with water until about 4 inches long and pop in the freezer. When frozen wrap in toilet paper and put in your undies. Worked wonders for the pain!

Definitely sounds like time to get a medical opinion. Not sure if you can call and get a midwife out to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a forceps delivery and 2nd degree tear, and everything was really sore and swollen for about a week, but still tender for a while after that as the stitches dissolved. My bum was SO sore afterwards too,not so much from the tear but I think from all the effort of pushing (I had a really long 2nd stage, hence the forceps).

Does your hospital have a women's physio section? I saw one as part of my recovery and they checked my pelvic floor and everything else. I think the main thing is to do lots of pelvic floor exercises, the physio I saw said this helps move the blood around and reduces the swelling. Most of these issues are fixable so don't feel like you need to put up with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had 2nd degree tearing after my DD was delivered. The swelling and stinging was there for a couple of weeks. What you are describing definitely sounds excessive. I would have it checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ditto to everyone else - your pain and discomfort seems excessive for 5wks later. I would get your 6wk check up appt ASAP. I had an episi and 3rd degree tear and still recovered faster than this.

One thing I did find a godsend for 2mths afterwards is the tight Nanna pants (like SRC Recovery Shorts). I was skeptical when the hospital physio recommended it, but honestly as soon as I tried them, I instantly felt more supported downstairs. No longer did it feel as though my insides were hanging down to my knees

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi , my first was vacuum and forceps with tearing . It was weeks before I felt ok and months before I could hold my wee in. I was pretty miserable and the pain was just horrible. But after a while I went back to normal , after breezy second birth I had no worries at all. It will heal you and yor body have been through a big trauma, it will take some time. Get it looked at if your overly worried and congratulations on your little baby xxx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post: