+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big hugs OP, its the worst feeling in the world.

We lost our 3.5 y/o daughter at the airport in Hawaii. I was putting our 1 y/o into her stroller and hubby went to wait for our suitcases and DD1 went with him. Well he forgot she followed him and when he had our suitcases on the trolley he turned around and walked back to me without her!!!! OMG. My heart literally skipped a beat when I said "where's DD1" and he yells "what? She's not with me". The airport was packed. I just ran through the crowd back towards where they had been and luckily through the crowd I could see a little flash of her pink skirt. She had run for the exits and the Immigration officials were trying to get her but she was screaming "no no, Mummy. Where's Mummy?". They had basically cornered her so she couldn't run out. It was so scary. She was hysterical and so was I nearly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is the reason i prefer playdates at home, i don't care how messy my house gets, and i do try to keep them outside, at least i can control the environment 100%

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Blergh, reading these stories makes my stomach feel sick! Just thinking how a poor parent would feel when they can't find their baby - it makes me feel shaky!

I hope I don't experience it myself, but my DS is a bit of a ratbag so I'm sure I will one day :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    I've lost DS twice so far. Once at the shops. He was standing with my sister talking to her while I looked at something else. She put the sunnies he was holding back up and when she looked down he was gone. We were at the front of the store and I went to look out of it and she went inside. Luckily a lady came over to my sister with him and asked if he was ours. Only gone for a minute.

The second I had left him outside playing with DP. DP came inside but we have a huge gate so I wasn't worried about him leaving. Went out to bring him in maybe 5 mins later and he was gone. The gate was open and I ran out thinking he could be taken, run over, anything. I found him half way down the road with his bag on his way to my grandparents house (live across from the front of the cul de sac). He said he was going on an adventure

So scary and I hope never to lose him again!

I can't imagine how my parents felt. They lost me and my brother bushwalking at Jenolan caves. We had the ranger come pick us up from a house we found in the middle of nowhere. I was maybe 7. Luckily there was a nice lady there who fed us chips and let us watch a movie while she sorted out who we belonged to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG! that must have been scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I lost my DD (5, autistic) at the pub recently. It was early afternoon and so quiet there, and we were having a relay for life meeting. DD was there, and then she wasnt! We all split up, some looking on the road, some in the toilets, pokies room etc. I found DD on the other side of the pub in the bar Geez, it was only 30 seconds but my heart raced. Thank god we have such good friends who instantly helped search.

Another time at the same pub (this time for dinner with friends), my friend took her Ds to the toilet while the rest of this kids played in the games room (entry to games room was in view and 5 meters away from us). I got up to check on the kids and DD wasnt there!!!! We all raced around looking, and i found DD in the toilet with my friend and her DS. grrrrr. I got so mad at her for not telling me that she was going.

When DD was 2.5 and only just walking, she managed to get outside before I'd woken (before 6am!!). I heard a knock on the wside of the house so got up and covered and went to see who was there. A man in his work clothes asked me if i was missing a little girl. DD was out on the side of the road We lived on a fairly busy street (mining town, shifts are 6 and 6 so was busy that time of the day). I paniced. I had no idea how DD got out, and a baby gate went on the front steps that day!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eviezmum View Post
    I had the worst experience of my life this morning.

DD and I were at the park having a playdate with friends. I was drinking my coffee with the other mum and we were chatting while watching our DDs play. I watched DD (nearly 2 come out of the cubby house and walk towards a slide that she loves, which was maybe 15-20 metres away. I turned to the other mother, replied to her comment and turned back to watch DD climb the stairs to the slide. I watched her reach the top and started walking towards her as it's a steep one and I knew she would want to hold my hand coming down. DD turned around and it wasn't her!

My girl was wearing jeans, white shoes and a pink knitted jacket with her hair tied back. The girl at the top of the slide was wearing jeans, white shoes and the EXACT SAME pink knitted jacket with her hair tied back the same way. I had, for the last few minutes, been keeping an eye on the wrong little girl.

I have never felt so numb and scared and helpless as I did when I realised I couldn't see my daughter and I did not know where she was. I ran two laps of the playground yelling her name, before I spotted her over in the garden about 50 metres away. She was happily sitting, playing with a stick in the dirt. I was so relieved that I burst into tears. All in all I lost my daughter for maybe 3 minutes, but it felt like hours.

I learned a very valuable lesson today, and I'm still feeling a little shaken. When I think of what could have happened in those 3 minutes I feel sick.

Please tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to?
    I think it happens to everyone... unfortunately there are just cases where people aren't so lucky I was at a shopping centre the other day.. talking to a mum from my mothers group inside a little play thingy they have in shopping centres.. Thought my little girl was in the play thingy.. I turn my head to the right and there's my 2 year old daughter walking towards me from the shop area (God knows what she'd been doing and for how long!!) There's roads and things from where she came from too

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, plenty of these..worst thing ever...and even worse when it is someone else's child. Been there, done that, so many times. Has your heart stopped racing?

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    so scary!

Your defiantly not the only one!

I lost my neice at the supermarket when she was little (3 maybe?) she was RIGHT next to me, chatting away, I looked up, picked an item off the shelf, in the trolley, looked down & she was gone.

Looked both ways in the asile & she was no where to be seen. Called out. No response. I thought shed been kidnapped. I didn't know toddlers were also stealth like ninjas.

Thankfully the shop assistances were very helpful in finding her/watching the exit doors and she was fine (had been following another family :eyes

I've also lost DD at home. I was studying on comp & DH was out the back in the shed. I realized I couldn't hear her and went looking. Back door was open (fine I thought she was with DH) found DH but she wasn't out there. Came back inside and ran around the house calling out to her. No response. DH and I took off in opposite directions down the street but couldn't see her. I actually vomited. I ran back home crying and DH had found her (shed crawled under the house)

Now we lock our screen doors with a key and DH rings the bell if he wants to come back in.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubmum View Post
    OP, plenty of these..worst thing ever...and even worse when it is someone else's child. Been there, done that, so many times. Has your heart stopped racing?
    Strangely I agree

Don't get me wrong, I was devastated when we couldn't find DD but The adrenaline was pumping aswell which kept me going.

But my neice (who was gone for longer & in more unlikely circumstances eg I didn't think it was possible for her to disappear on her own that quickly & quietly were I could imagine DD wandering off) was horrific. I thought I was going to faint. I imagined my sisters face &.. Well.. Everything. Horrible.

ANYWAY enough about me. Hope your okay OP