+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I lost my daughter at the park today.

I had the worst experience of my life this morning.

DD and I were at the park having a playdate with friends. I was drinking my coffee with the other mum and we were chatting while watching our DDs play. I watched DD (nearly 2 come out of the cubby house and walk towards a slide that she loves, which was maybe 15-20 metres away. I turned to the other mother, replied to her comment and turned back to watch DD climb the stairs to the slide. I watched her reach the top and started walking towards her as it's a steep one and I knew she would want to hold my hand coming down. DD turned around and it wasn't her!

My girl was wearing jeans, white shoes and a pink knitted jacket with her hair tied back. The girl at the top of the slide was wearing jeans, white shoes and the EXACT SAME pink knitted jacket with her hair tied back the same way. I had, for the last few minutes, been keeping an eye on the wrong little girl.

I have never felt so numb and scared and helpless as I did when I realised I couldn't see my daughter and I did not know where she was. I ran two laps of the playground yelling her name, before I spotted her over in the garden about 50 metres away. She was happily sitting, playing with a stick in the dirt. I was so relieved that I burst into tears. All in all I lost my daughter for maybe 3 minutes, but it felt like hours.

I learned a very valuable lesson today, and I'm still feeling a little shaken. When I think of what could have happened in those 3 minutes I feel sick.

Please tell me I'm not the only one this has happened to?

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP that must have been so scary.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Jexpect  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i feel your pain! i went to an open morning at a school and dd got lost and i couldn't find her in the throng of all the people.. she had gone to look at a picture display and when i got up to go get her, everyone else stood up to go for the tour of the school.. i found her being walked around in tears of course by another school boy who had her by the hand.. i felt so grateful he was there with her and didn't leave her alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is absolutely every parent's worst nightmare, and even if it's only a few minutes it is THE worst feeling in the world.

I lost my dd once. I had her plus other kids in my care and she walked around to the end of one aisle so I went to the other side to say "boo" and tell her to go back to the other kids at the trolley. She didn't go far, my bestie was with me, but nothing compares, and you never forget that panic feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing that must have been horrible!

You are not the only one at all When i was a kid, we lost my little brother a few times (he was super naughty). He once ducked inside a stack of clothes at Kmart and my poor distraught mother nearly closed the store down getting everyone to look for him.

It can happen to anyone. My best friend and I lost her little girl (for about 2mins) at the park. She ran behind a tree hiding (still within the park) but we were frantic looking for her when we realised we couldn't see her playing.

You might need a stiff drink tonight though to prevent grey hairs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

It has happened to me more than once over the last 19 years. the worse one was when dd1 was 2 I was shopping with mum, we spilt up and she went one way and i went the other. We both thought she had gone with the other. We met back up 1/2 hr later and no dd. We freaked. We finally found her in a gift shop playing with toys. To make it worse the shop keeper knew she was there on her own and didn't do anything about it.

It can happen to anyone.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hi, you are not alone with this expierence. my oldest child disappeared from me. he was only 20months. he was away from me for about ten minutes. i burst into tears when i located him. it happens so easily. hugs Marie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually i just remembered another time in my childhood when we were at western plains zoo and we lost my brother at the lion feeding show! My mum was crying and had all the zoo keepers driving around in those golf carts to find him. Turns out he had snuck right up the front and was crouching down, we couldn't see him. Poor mum thought he was going to get eaten! He was a really naughty/ mischievous kid. Very funny now 25 years later, but my poor ma wasn't laughing at the time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh, you poor thing.

When my DH was about 2 or 3 he just decided to go out for a walk one night, and was wandering around the suburb having a great old time. His parents weren't too thrilled & didn't find it funny at all - they were eventually reunited at the police station.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh geez, how terrifying!!!

That happened to a friend of mine, we were all out together and suddenly her 2yo wasn't there anymore. One of the girls stayed clutching all the kids, and the rest of us ran around like crazy mothers yelling and searching and trying to find her. Eventually found her, but gosh it's heartstopping, I can only imagine the day that happens to me.