+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New mummy breastfeeding and top up feeding 5wk old baby with milk protein allergy

Hi everyone I was just wondering if anyone could offer me some help? I'm a new mummy whose 5 wk old has had somewhat of a rough start in life. I wont bore you with all the details but unfortunately due to the stress my milk supply has been very limited. I'm currently taking medication to help increase my supply and also taking herbal supplements as well. I am expressing as well but have had to resort to top up feeding with formula.
    My little boy has been bleeding from the bottom quite seriously and it looks as though he has an allergy to milk proteins. We now have a prescription for a formula which is milk and soy free and the problem has definitely improved. Just wondering if anyone can offer some guidance as to what i can and cannot eat whilst I continue to breastfeed? I've found info on the effects of the milk protein but not any alternate foods for myself. Anything you can offer to increase my milk supply would also be greatly appreciated.
    I've worked so hard to continue breastfeeding, I'd like to keep going for as long as possible. Thanks x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 had CMPI (cow's milk protein intolerance) and 3 week old DS2 has it as well. I BFd DS1 for 6 months & DS2 is BFd. I have cut out all dairy (milk, cheese, yoghurt, ice cream, cream, custard) and anything made with high amounts of dairy (cheese based sauces, pastry etc). I love dairy so the hardest part for me is dealing with the cravings for dairy. But TBH not eating dairy is definitely doable (vegans do it all the time). Googling dairy substitutes will give you a plethora of information on what you can use in cooking. Be careful when using soy as a substitute as many babies with CMPI are also intolerant to soy (and goat milk).

The severity of the intolerance will dictate whether you can get away with avoiding dairy in its "purest" forms or whether you also need to read labels & avoid traces of dairy as well. Unfortunately chocolate also affects DS2 (thank god for dairy free dark Lindt!).

I know a hubber whose DD had CMPI & was also soy intolerant, to the point where she had to avoid traces of both in all food. She is also an ABA counsellor & successfully BFd her DD for 2 years. I'll see if she can pop on and offer more advice.

As for boosting supply, fenugreek tablets & lactation boosting cookies worked for me (google the cookies & the recipe will come up).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh thank you both so much. It's been such a stressful hard 5 wks for us. Part of me wonders whether it would just be better for him if I put him on formula and then I know i'm not creating him more dramas but I'm also really not a fan of putting him on formula at all.
    It's taken so long for me to get any milk but it's still really quite a low supply. I will check out the lactation cookies thank you and I will email and find out more from the paedeatrician. Poor beggar was yesterday also diagnosed with reflux too. Thank god it's not life threatening issues, but I tell you we've had everything else you can think of from vomiting up blood, suspicions of hepatitis, infections in the nail cuticles, thrush, nipple thrush, mastitis in both boobs and the list just keeps going. Hopefully my little man will get a break soon. Do either of you know much about using baby probiotics for the gut? I've heard a few paedeatricians are recommending it these days and I'm wondering if it might help settle my little man's cramping tummy. Thanks again for your help x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've given our bub inner health for kids. I'm not sure if bub can have it so young but I can't see why not. Personally I'd add it to the formula bottles but I was told you can make a paste and put it on your nipples before Breastfeeding. Sounds a bit messy. Our son was older so just drank it in his water