View Poll Results: Do you know all the words to Advance Australia Fair?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I do.

26 78.79%
  • No, I don't.

5 15.15%
  • No, I don't acknowledge it

0 0%
  • Other

2 6.06%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope, but im still British at the moment though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep- i grew up singing it whenever we drove passed the National Flag!
    I still do it now- and my nearly 3yo knows most of the first verse too!
    From exposure !
    I love it when he sings 'my home is girt by sea' - cause obviously he sings the sounds without knowing what he's singing-I always think its funny!

Lindy

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Nope, but im still British at the moment though.
    Same as me!
    I know some cause we have to sing it in assembly at the school I do CRT in so I'm getting there lol

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yep. We used to use it in debates about refugees..

"My second speaker will discuss the significance of the australian national anthem, and how we have 'boundless plains to share' with those who need it...

etc.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Yup, know the whole thing. My high school would sing the whole thing and not just the first verse.
    I was at DS assembly today and they have made the Anthem go to Aboriginal themed music (Didgeridoo music through it) which was the first time I'd ever heard it that way.
    That sounds nice. I would like to hear that version.

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    No, I don't even know how it starts or the tune.
    From memory you are a new zealander aren't you? Do you at least know the New Zealand national anthem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, I do, and we sing both verses at school every time we have assembly.

My pet hate is people singing "with golden soil"

It's NOT with!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    From memory you are a new zealander aren't you? Do you at least know the New Zealand national anthem?
    Yep, all 5 verses in both English and Maori, I know God Save The Queen in both languages too (also NZ's National Anthem, just not widely used as such).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

threechooks  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BlissedOut View Post
    Yep, all 5 verses in both English and Maori, I know God Save The Queen in both languages too (also NZ's National Anthem, just not widely used as such).
    You are forgiven then

Thanks
    Reviews
    The original lyrics published in 1879 were as follows:[13]
    Verse 1Australia's sons let us rejoice,For we are young and free;We've golden soil and wealth for toil,Our home is girt by sea;Our land abounds in Nature's giftsOf beauty rich and rare;In hist'ry's page, let ev'ry stageAdvance Australia fair.In joyful strains then let us sing,Advance Australia fair.Verse 2When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,To trace wide oceans o'er,True British courage bore him on,Til he landed on our shore.Then here he raised Old England's flag,The standard of the brave;"With all her faults we love her still""Britannia rules the wave."In joyful strains then let us singAdvance Australia fair. Verse 3While other nations of the globeBehold us from afar,We'll rise to high renown and shineLike our glorious southern star;From England soil and Fatherland,Scotia and Erin fair,Let all combine with heart and handTo advance Australia fair.In joyful strains then let us singAdvance Australia fair.Verse 4Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,Or dare a foot to land,We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,To guard our native strand;Britannia then shall surely know,Though oceans roll between,Her sons in fair Australia's landStill keep their courage green.In joyful strains then let us singAdvance Australia fair.*
    The 1901 Federation version of the third verse was originally sung as:
    Third verseBeneath our radiant Southern Cross,We'll toil with hearts and hands;To make our youthful CommonwealthRenowned of all the lands;For loyal sons beyond the seasWe've boundless plains to share;With courage let us all combineTo advance Australia fair.In joyful strains then let us singAdvance Australia fair!*