+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What are my rights?

My DH and I had a falling out with our family.
    We haven't spoken in a couple of months but they have about $500 worth of belongings I want back.
    The thing is they live a few hours drive away and phone is disconnected. I want to turn up and get it but feel they won't give it back.
    It's stuff belonging to my children eg. Bed and bike (both worth $300 all up to resell)
    Now I'm mad cause we have to buy a new bed cause of a new baby ready for the bed.
    The items were on loan so my kids had a bed and toys to play when we went to visit.
    So how can I get it back? What are my rights? Or should I kiss it all goodbye

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry to say I'd be kissing it goodbye. As missie said, unless you have proof that it was only on loan to them, it's technically there's. If you think they'll be asses about it, it's probably not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only proof is photos from the items being at my house.
    I don't want to let the stuff go as a matter of principle.
    It sucks how disgusting people can be especially to their own children and grandchildren.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by onelasttime View Post
    My DH and I had a falling out with our family.
    We haven't spoken in a couple of months but they have about $500 worth of belongings I want back.
    The thing is they live a few hours drive away and phone is disconnected. I want to turn up and get it but feel they won't give it back.
    It's stuff belonging to my children eg. Bed and bike (both worth $300 all up to resell)
    Now I'm mad cause we have to buy a new bed cause of a new baby ready for the bed.
    The items were on loan so my kids had a bed and toys to play when we went to visit.
    So how can I get it back? What are my rights? Or should I kiss it all goodbye
    Well you'd have to prove it was yours in the first place.. and if they refused to give it back you'd have to take them to court which can be expensive and time consuming. I think you'd be better off just letting it go unfortunately

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly I think get over it and cut your losses!!!

If you have cut ties with them over a fight it almost seems spiteful to say 'I want them back on principle'

You were happy for the items to be there when you weren't fighting so it's not really principle is it?