+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cessnock, NSW
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Hi Alimia - They both have suspected RSV. DD gets it every year and it always gives her croup. DD started with cold symptoms. Low to no fever, clear runny nose, head ache, sore throat. Then on day 3 she started coughing. Dry cough that sounds just like a seal barking. Woke up in the middle of the night unable to breathe and barking, gasping.

Was sick for about 7 days, no sleep for 2 nights of those, not really sick anymore but still coughing although its now a phlegmy sounding cough.

DS started with just the cough for a few days. Then runny nose started and headache and sore throat. Then on day 4 he's come down with a high fever and the cough is unstoppable. He whoops when gasping for breath.

I've managed to get a bit of the ventolin in him now I think. He's finally been sleeping and not coughing for the last 20mins. That's his best run in hours.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I feel like such a useless mum when my kids are sick.

And sorry - I have no idea why the font is so small in this post! Weird.
    You're not a useless mum.

Respiratory problems in kids are hard. My brothers and I all had them when we were kids and I know it gave my mum no end of grief. Oldest bro had asthma and croup, middle one had asthma and I had something.... (they thought it was bronchitis, then they thought it was croup, then they thought it was asthma, then they gave up and just called it asthma even though it's not.)

You will just need to be strong and remember that even if getting him to take the medicine sometimes upsets him that you are doing it for his good and he will feel better after it's done.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (01-08-2012)

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have found the best way (give it all day every day at work) is to sit them on your lap with there back to your stomach, one arm across the stomach holding arms in and hand on the chin, other hand holding the spacer and mask. If there really wriggly then use your legs to contain there's. This is for one person, wayyyy easier with two.
    If you still can't get it in that way and are on your own there is another way but it's not very nice!!
    It all sounds mean but having asthma myself, it's far better than the feeling of not being able to breath and with a big cuddle at the end they forgive pretty quick.
    I also find that counting how many breaths they take can be a really good distraction and once they get used to it getting them to help depress the puffer.
    It's not easy so good luck!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

HeatherRob  (27-03-2013),MissMuppet  (01-08-2012),Nowhere  (01-08-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    When DS first started suffering with asthma I had the same problem. He would not let us near him with a neuliser and besides that the spacer is more effective anyway but he was also terrified of it. So I did what other posters have suggested and I sat him with his back on my belly, restrained his arms with my legs and kind of bear hugged him with one arm whilst holding the spacer on his face with the other. Its not easy, but his screaming actually helped him breathe in nice and deep. Eventually he got used to it and I have no issues giving it to him anymore, he is a little champ at the hospy and really good with taking it whenever I need him too. Hugs OP asthma is so scary.

in a wormhole
    Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful!

You can contact Asthma Australia for information and advice on 1800ASTHMA (1800278462) you can also register online to have a free Control pack sent to you that has heaps of information to help you better manage asthma symptoms and includes an emergency fridge magnet.