+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to give 2 year old ventolin?

DS is really, really sick at the moment. He just can't stop coughing. He coughs til he vomits and then keeps coughing. Its awful. He can't sleep, or eat. He's exhausted, and losing weight, and still he's coughing.

The dr says he thinks its asthma brought on by a cold and said to try ventolin and redipred. He just vomits the redipred back up.

And no matter what I try I can't get him to inhale the ventolin. He's scared of it, and turns his head and screams, which makes him cough more.

I'm trying with a spacer but have had absolutely no luck.

How do you get 2 year olds to take ventolin?

(My DD just had croup last week, and I think DS has the same bug, but instead of croup its given him asthma.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe look into renting a nebuliser. I think you can rent them from most chemists.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used a nebuliser.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a FunHaler - it's a kids' spacer that makes a whale spin and a whistle blow when they inhale. Sometimes 2 year olds cant quite make the whistle go but they can enjoy the whale.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    the best thing about a kid screaming is it means they are breathing in deaply
    How we do it it get the spacer out with the mask spay puffs into the the spacer and hold mask on her face, once she breathed in a few times its all good even if there screaming the medication is still going nice and deep into the lungs
    Might sound cruel but it works like a charm. I am honest with my daughter about all her meds ( we give needles as well) and she has many drips put in and lots of dressings all that sort of stuff, I tell her that I know it sucks i know its horrible and she has to have it done so we are going to do it and if you want to scream and cry and carry on thats fine but its getting done.
    I might sound like a heartless cow, but im not once its done we have a big cuddle and all is fine. It worked really well for us for 5.5 years untill a bad incedent in hospital in november that caused her to be scarred again but I have got her confidence back she will again have her needles and her dressing and what not again as long as its just me or DH and not a nurse or dr, she is slowly getting back to a good place with drips and stuff her last one she didnt scream just held my hand and said this sucks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes i have this problem with DS... he sleeps with his mouth open so when he refuses it before he goes to bed i put the spacer over his mouth when he's asleep and hold it there for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have always had to use a spacer with a silicon mask that attaches to the end of the spacer. DS was only 18m when we had to start and he was terrified and on one of his hospital stays they tought us how to hold him down and give it to him. Him screaming for the 1 min it took to give it to him was a hundred times better then watching him struggle to breath and wheeze all the time. Didn't take long for him to realise it helped him and then it was never an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    DS is really, really sick at the moment. He just can't stop coughing. He coughs til he vomits and then keeps coughing. Its awful. He can't sleep, or eat. He's exhausted, and losing weight, and still he's coughing.

The dr says he thinks its asthma brought on by a cold and said to try ventolin and redipred. He just vomits the redipred back up.

And no matter what I try I can't get him to inhale the ventolin. He's scared of it, and turns his head and screams, which makes him cough more.

I'm trying with a spacer but have had absolutely no luck.

How do you get 2 year olds to take ventolin?

(My DD just had croup last week, and I think DS has the same bug, but instead of croup its given him asthma.)
    Sorry to go off track a bit but my ds currently has croup and his symptoms sound similar to your 2 year old. How long did it take your dd to get over croup and what were her symptoms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alimia View Post
    Sorry to go off track a bit but my ds currently has croup and his symptoms sound similar to your 2 year old. How long did it take your dd to get over croup and what were her symptoms.
    Hi Alimia - They both have suspected RSV. DD gets it every year and it always gives her croup. DD started with cold symptoms. Low to no fever, clear runny nose, head ache, sore throat. Then on day 3 she started coughing. Dry cough that sounds just like a seal barking. Woke up in the middle of the night unable to breathe and barking, gasping.

Was sick for about 7 days, no sleep for 2 nights of those, not really sick anymore but still coughing although its now a phlegmy sounding cough.

DS started with just the cough for a few days. Then runny nose started and headache and sore throat. Then on day 4 he's come down with a high fever and the cough is unstoppable. He whoops when gasping for breath.

I've managed to get a bit of the ventolin in him now I think. He's finally been sleeping and not coughing for the last 20mins. That's his best run in hours.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I feel like such a useless mum when my kids are sick.

And sorry - I have no idea why the font is so small in this post! Weird.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (01-08-2012)