+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula causing nappy rash

My 8 month old has always been breastfed but recently i returned to work and am still expressing. I can't express enough so I supplement with formula. However it seems to be causing him terrible nappy rash. I read formula can cause this and it seems to make sense as its only since he started childcare (where I give them bottles of formula) and it clears up on the days he's home with me and breastfeeding. I know it's not the childcare workers as they change him frequently and put lots of cream on and together we've tried other things. It seems as soon as the poo after formula touches his bum it burns instantly. I currently use Bellamy organic infant formula. Does anyone know a formula that doesn't cause nappy rash I could try?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suppose it possible, I never ff DD so cannot answer for sure but occasionally when I ate something different it gave her nappy rash or huggies nappies did too. Try calmoseptine ointment for the rash, it's awesome for clearing it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    maybe try a goat's formula? it's all trial and error really.. what one child likes/ can have another can't.. i ended up trying about 5 different formula's until i found which was right for ds.. it was the novalac range you buy at chemists.

as for the rash, chemists sell behind the counter (you have to ask for it, can't be found on the shelves) a cream called daktozin. works pretty well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Daktozin is great, but maybe ask them for change records because I have not seen that before in almost 15 years of childcare.

ETA: I have seen nappy rash of course, but not from formuls and many of our bubs go from bf to ff when they start cc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks. I should have mentioned I can get rid of the nappy rash with sudocream in a couple of days. It's the consecutive days at child care where it keeps coming back each day badly! Weekends are fine then Monday it starts all over again. I've bought some goats milk samples and will see how it goes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marty83 For This Useful Post:

share a book  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Formula could definitely cause nappy rash. To imply that it never would is irresponsible and misleading. All children are different.

I supplemented ds's bfing with Karicare formula and never had a problem, maybe try that one... I only say that because thats the only formula I have ever used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rbottom View Post
    Formula could definitely cause nappy rash. To imply that it never would is irresponsible and misleading. All children are different.

I supplemented ds's bfing with Karicare formula and never had a problem, maybe try that one... I only say that because thats the only formula I have ever used.
    Suggesting a copy of change records is not implying formula would never cause nappy rash.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also do childcare supply nappies? If they are a different brand they could be irritating the area.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to hipney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's been at 3 different centres and it was the same problem. One centre used cloth nappies, one used disposables and the current one I supply the nappies. No difference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bub could be lactose intolerant which causes bad nappy rash that can be difficult to clear/recurrent. You could ask your doctor or child health nurse. If bub is lactose intolerant, the doctor can prescribe a lactose free formula up to 12 months of age (less $ for you if you have a health care card).
    Last edited by Brunfelsia Dreaming; 01-08-2012 at 16:48.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Brunfelsia Dreaming For This Useful Post: