+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How to do it without a personal trainer?

Hi guys

I'm wanting to lose around 5-10kgs and tone right up but I've no idea how to go about it. Ideally I'd love to get a personal trainer but I just don't have the money at the moment (and probably won't for a long time).

So, what's the best way to go about it? I really don't want to bulk up so am hesitant to do any exercise in case that's what I do. Well, that's my excuse anyway.

Please help - all suggestions appreciated :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in the same boat, more or less because I can't afford a PT. I signed up for spark people which gives you a free set of workout plans based on your abilities, age and goals. It also guides you on diet and has a tracker online and an app for your phone which you just search for what you ate and it puts it on your food tracker. It also does the same for fitness, whenever you excercise enter how long you did and what and it'll add up the cals burned. After almost 2 weeks I've lost just under 2kgs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    join the michelle bridges 12wbt I'm doing it currently and have lost 6kg. I'm at my goal weight now, and have switched to her "lean and strong" program to tone up. It's great

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I lost about 8 kilos for my wedding about a year ago without a trainer or specific outside help.

Having a wedding as motivation helped a lot, but so did setting rewards for mini-goals (eg. 2kgs lost, get my hair done, etc).

I used the calorieking dot com dot au website to track my calories in vs calories out and invested in the heart rate monitor. That way I could accurately eat back what I had exercised because no, 15mins on the treadmil does not = that cheesecake you had at lunch.

I found a gym (with a creche!) that had casual membership and lots of classes. I like classes because I need the peer pressure of being in a room full of people to keep me exercising for an hour and find gym equipment insanely boring. Remember that you do not have to keep up with the class, everyone has to start somewhere and no one is judging you, they are much more concerned with achieving their own goals.

Also, on the bulking up thing, females typically have very low levels of testosterone and other hormones that allow for rapid muscle growth. You would need to follow a specifically designed training and diet program to see anything more than a little bit of improved muscle tone. (Sorry, can't use that excuse any more!)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my husband is a PT and has told me over and over the majority of weight loss comes from a good eating plan, not a diet because they don't work, it's a lifestyle change combined with about 30 minutes a day of exercise and you will start to see the difference. it's little successes each day that lead to your goal being achieved.

if your worried about bulking up do resistance exercises such as Pilates, yoga, and if you use weights do lower KGs but more reps.

1200-1500 calories per day filled with unprocessed, whole grain foods, fruit and vegetables

shakes etc will only work if u have a significant amount of weight to lose but they don't teach you how to eat healthy so when you stop drinking them most ppl put the weight back on.

good luck in your journey I'll be starting mine once bub comes along this month

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Newmum2012 For This Useful Post:

pilbarablossom  (01-08-2012),ShanandBoc  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Also, on the bulking up thing, females typically have very low levels of testosterone and other hormones that allow for rapid muscle growth. You would need to follow a specifically designed training and diet program to see anything more than a little bit of improved muscle tone. (Sorry, can't use that excuse any more!)
    Ah Bugger

K so if I track my food and go for a walk every day with the kids and then try and get a Zumba class or something in once a week, I should see results?

I've always had somewhat chunky legs and I'd love to get some hot pins instead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    no diets. Just healthy eating and exercise. Plenty of great fitness dvds on the market if u want. Im currently doing the michelle bridges ones and the super shredder circuit is exactly what she puts her personal training clients through.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanandBoc View Post
    no diets. Just healthy eating and exercise. Plenty of great fitness dvds on the market if u want. Im currently doing the michelle bridges ones and the super shredder circuit is exactly what she puts her personal training clients through.

I just don't have the finances to put into this stuff though - you have to pay for the Michelle Bridges one don't you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Its $39 for a 3 disc set Im really happy with it x

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bunnyhugs if you have free access to the net and are able to put it on a laptop, look up "beachbody insanity" on youtube. You should be able to find the program videos on there for free to watch and use

I think most programs like that are on youtube now, so you could look for others as well.