+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Toddlers and anaesthetic

So DD2 (20 months) has to have a femoral osteotomy and open hip reduction in 9 days time. I have never had anaestheitc before so I don't really understand how it will affect her. How long does it take them to wake up and do the effects last for a few days?

Thanks, so scared xo

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi frenchie

My DS has had two surgeries, one at 8 months and the other at 30 months. Both times he had a mask put over his face while I was holding him and he drifted off to sleep. Then I put him on the table, gave him a kiss then left.

I won't lie, the first time I was an absolute wreck. Second time was pretty ok with it.

How long before they wake depends on the surgery and the length of procedure but the surgeon will tell you that before the surgery.

My DS was a bit sleepy and clingy for a few days but not overly so. It was like he just got tired a bit quicker.

The thing with kids is that they're built like gumby so are pretty resilient. Much more than us adults would be if we were to have the same procedure done.

It's hard not to worry but I'm sure your DD will be fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD2 had an MRI under GA when she was 12 months. It was horrible for me, but I honestly don't think it phased her much at all. They let me hold her while they anaesthetised her, and then they came and got me before she woke up so she never knew I was gone. She had a breastfeed when they were happy with her recovery and was playing like nothing had ever happened.

I realise your situation is a bit different because of the surgery, but that was our experience with a general anaesthetic.

Not much fun is it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Thanks guys. I am really scared. So it's gas, not a needle? I wonder if they'll give me some too....

She will be in a cast for at least 3 months so that bit is scary too. I am terrified of what she is going to wake up to and how she will react

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They put the canula in after you've left the room. The gas is just to sedate them enough so they don't feel the canula.

Do you think you could explain a little to her beforehand?

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, no needles until they ate asleep. We've been thru quite a few surgeries in the last two years. You hold your child and they out the mask on their face - I think this is the scary part for them. The gas is smelly, sounds horrible but the more they cry the quicker they are asleep. I cry every time, and I'm a nurse who works in the operating theatre!!!! They put the iv lines in once asleep. After the surgery they will take them to recovery. Some nurses will call you in before they wake up, some will wait til they wake up. For my kids one screams / cries for half an hour after waking up the other just sleeps. But just because they are crying or screaming please trust that it is not pain related initially. Kids are far more resilient than we realize. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Omgosh, I don't think i can do it I don't wanna

Yeah, we have been showing her pics of kids in casts and stuff and talking to her about the doctor and hospital. She speaks really well but I don't think a 20 months can fully understand that she will go to sleep and wake up in this big, heavy thing which means she can't move

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had finger surgery and her hand had to wrapped up in what looked like a boxing glove. She woke up looked at and for the next 8 weeks had to do everything single handedly. She was only 25 months. She did so amazingly well I was astonished. They just adapt. This is no where as big as what you are about to go thru. But kids do well. Try not to over think it and deal with things as they happen. Yes easier said than done. Just have her favourite things around. Have her favourite toy with you as she goes to sleep. Surround her hospital bed with her things. Get a special new toy. In my experience kids just go with the flow and are much better if mum and dad remain calm and confident whole it's all happening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The day of DS's op I had to literally force myself to do it. Everything in me was screaming 'Nooooooo, I don't want to do this'. It is scary. But the reality wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd thought it would be.

The hardest part for DS was the fasting on the day. We just kept playing with him and keeping him distracted - they had lots of toys there for the kids while they wait.

Then they called us in. The Dr and anaesthetist came and spoke to us. I didn't think I could do it, so DH took him in. He was totally fine, didn't even cry. DH said they put a mask on, he went to sleep, all very easy and peaceful. Then he was told to leave the room, and they did the IV.

When we were called into recovery, he was awake and crying. He cried for about half an hour. Not his normal cry, a very dopey, confused cry. It wasn't fun, but it wasn't awful either. I just cuddled him while they gave him more pain relief.

Then we were taken to a recovery room where he lay on my chest while we all watched some random movie on tv screens. He stopped crying and went to sleep. He slept for about two hours, then woke up, had some milk, and he was considered fine.

By lunch time it was all over and whilst it was a difficult morning, it hadn't been anything near as bad as I'd thought it would be. The staff are excellent.

One tip - make sure that you eat before you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can they put you in touch with anyone who's child has had the same operation and cast so that you can find out first hand how their child adapted/coped?