+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Yes but my point is that you are incorrect so I was questioning your knowledge.
    Just because our opinions and practices differ doesn't make me wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    If I was a shareholder I'd rather work in your company... One that (within the law) looks after its bottom line and hands out bonuses/pay increments on a pro-rats basis. Businesses who hand out $$ willy nilly to people who haven't been there a chunk of the year will go broke and then everyone will be stuffed.
    Completely agree with you here. Working in HR has really opened my eyes to the importance of finding a balance in between being employee and employer focused. While its important to look after your staff (which we do very well), it's also important to remember that the number 1 goal for an organisation is to make money, which you're not going to do without a few strategic compensation choices being made. Our staff are happy with the amazing culture and other benefits we provide, so as long as we're paying the market salary, they stay, which I believe is a pretty successful balance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    so as long as we're paying the market salary, they stay
    But your original post says that you don't pay market salary to those who have been on parental leave.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    But your original post says that you don't pay market salary to those who have been on parental leave.
    No it doesn't, it says that staff who go on extended leave get a reduced percentage increase, we spend a lot of time each year analyzing our internal salary data in comparison to what is paid externally and we are on-par (or above, in many cases) with the market.

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Are you really looking after a company if you are leaving them open to legal action and employee dissatisfaction. Companies who pay peanuts usually end up with monkeys

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    We're not open to legal action; if a male or female employee took a 6-month career break to study or travel, and they didn't receive the full increase, no one would be jumping up and down screaming "discrimination!", so taking 6-months off to pursue any other interest (such as being a parent) is no different, especially since our male and female employees taking parental leave are treated equally (as far as the law allows, obviously there are some differences when special maternity leave or no safe job leave come into it as legislatively they're only available to females).

I find it so frustrating when people pull the discrimination card for a CHOICE they made to become a parent. Your organisation didn't get you pregnant so they shouldn't have to fund your life choices.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination??

Just because our opinions and practices differ doesn't make me wrong.
    You're right. But misinterpreting the law does.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Smudgey  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it so frustrating when people pull the discrimination card for a CHOICE they made to become a parent. Your organisation didn't get you pregnant so they shouldn't have to fund your life choices.
    The government didn't get me pregnant - should we take away ppl also?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Smudgey  (29-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I wonder that your organisation recruit any females of reproductive age at all... Seems like more hassle than it's worth by the sounds of things.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

JessicaBailey  (29-01-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're not open to legal action; if a male or female employee took a 6-month career break to study or travel, and they didn't receive the full increase, no one would be jumping up and down screaming "discrimination!", so taking 6-months off to pursue any other interest (such as being a parent) is no different, especially since our male and female employees taking parental leave are treated equally (as far as the law allows, obviously there are some differences when special maternity leave or no safe job leave come into it as legislatively they're only available to females).
    I personally believe that they should also be receiving the increase - your company obviously doesn't discriminate in this instance - everyone gets a bum deal if they take leave.

They wouldn't be jumping up and down saying discrimination but behind closed doors they're probably feeling undervalued for being paid less than others for doing the same job - all because they took some leave. Does this apply to people coming back from long service leave also?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I think you need to brush up on your indirect discrimination information. The law is very specific if you look at case history- particularly the indirect discrimination case against Wollongong council which set the precedent about indirect discrimination.

Fortunately your opinion is moot and just because you havent had legal action in the past doesnt mean you arent leaving your emploer open to legal action. It just means few people are affected and or you have bluffed them well.
    Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    What makes you right? You're just like everyone else on here: have an opinion but cant make a call as you dont know all the facts....

IMO we have to be careful the indirect discrimination card isn't over-played otherwise we'll turn into a nation of whingers and bankrupt companies.

As for the bluff... That could be said about both sides of this debate.