+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Discrimination??

You should be paid the correct salary for the job you are doing. Last year has nothing to do with the effort and value of your work this year.
    Last edited by shelle65; 26-10-2012 at 07:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by readyforbub View Post
    Its like saying to someone who has just started a new job part way through the year that they won't get the full increase as they were only there part of the year. It doesn't seem right.
    This has happened to me in a previous job. I was working for a large company who did everything by the books, which makes me think they are allowed to do this.

In your situation it doesn't seem fair though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This!
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Why should her paygrade be disadvantaged because she has been on maternity leave? Even if it isn't direct discrimination (which I think it is BTW) there is certainly a case of indirect discrimination as such ideas for those taking parental leave are more likely to affect women more than it does men. Someone walking into the job brand new would get the full pay grade and not a reduced rate because they hadn't worked there before but because she has had time off to have a baby, she gets less than.
    It stinks of discrimination and defending the right to do this makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A payrise is not a 'reward' for rocking up to work.

It is a remuneration for skills and expertise you bring to the job.

Something is rotten.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely! It is not like anyone new to the job is starting at the wages circa 1981 because they weren't there for all the payrises since. They start on the 2012 current rate!
    Exactly!

You need to speak to your boss about how your skills/expertise/job role and expectations are any different.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination??

I work for a massive company. I took a year off. When I started back everybody got their annual review and little pay rise. I got nothing as I had just rejoined the job. I kinda hoped I would get it but also understand why I didn't. I think it must be ok to do as my company is all over this kinda stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you look at discrimination cases most of them are big companies because they think they can get away with it. The size of your employer and how together they seem to be has nothing to do with it- if anything it makes a good bluff on employees to believe whatever they say.

FWIW- If you looked at everyone in a company who got a payrise and a greater percentage of one sex got it than the other there is a good case of indirect discrimination. And really who else misses out on the payrise for not being there? Other reasons for time off (with or without pay) include annual leave, long service leave, workers comp cases, sick leave... I struggle to believe everyone in a major company is assessed yearly on how much of that they took within the year to see what percentage of the yearly wage increase they are going to get
    Yes yes yes!

There is something very wrong with the system if this is not discrimination. Clearly, women will always be out of the workforce more often due to maternity leave and then will always be copping this sort of crap!

Just because you have taken leave does not mean you are any less qualified or experienced in your role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Discrimination??

Females are already disadvantaged when it comes to negotiating pay increases. There has been significant research to show that men are judged on potential and any past mistakes or poor performance are excused/explained, yet women are subject to "prove it again" syndrome - good performance has to be repeated and proven constantly to be believed. Throw in ridiculous things like salary penalties for taking maternity leave and no wonder women are paid so much less than men.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (26-10-2012),Ellewood  (29-10-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    Yeah I'm talking about a payrise too, and whilst I understand your point regarding a payrise bring for the year ahead, it still isn't fair that a person who wasn't working for half the year gets the entire payrise when they haven't put in as much effort as everyone who was there for the full year.
    I'm an HR professional in a global finance company and this attitude makes me feel a bit sick too.

Can I ask what your actual role is? Are you a generalist? Do you have an HR qualification?

Glad I don't work in your company!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (29-10-2012),shelle65  (26-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I might be way off as i def do not work in HR..
    I've taken mat leave a bunch of times from my govt job. Prior to having kids, every yr, on the anniversary of my start date, i got an incremental pay increase as per the award.
    After taking mat leave and returning part time it now takes twice as long to get the incremental pay increase, simply because it takes me a lot longer to reach x hours of work required to be eligible for the increase than it does for someone who works full time.
    I see it as they are giving you half the rise rather than making you wait twice as long for the full rise?
    I dont think its discrimination as i would assume it would happen to anyone who went from ft to pt work regardless of their reason.
    A meeting with your manager should clear it up anyway.