+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination??

Hi

I was wondering if anyone can advise me on this?

I returned to work in January after being on maternity leave. We have just had our annual pay review and I was told that most people are getting 3% but as I have only been back at work for half the year I will only be getting half 1.5%.

I thought that pay reviews are based on performance, not how long you have been working during that year? He has never mentioned any issues with my performance.

I am going to meet with my boss to discuss this but just wanted to understand whether what he has done is wrong first?

thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That's weird, I've never heard that excuse for a crappy payrise before (and I've heard heaps).

Are you doing the same job this year, or do you have a position where you take on more responsibilities as you get more experienced?

Can you call fair work Australia and ask for some advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure if it is or not...

I know at my workplace that if I'm on paid maternity leave then I accrue annual leave and other leave as normal and my increment date doesn't change. But if I'm on unpaid mat leave or other leave, over a certain length of time, then my increment date is pushed back.

If its an EBA rise then I believe you should get the full amount.
    Last edited by LibranTwin; 31-07-2012 at 23:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im doing the same role, but part time now. It was just a standard yearly pay review at the end of the financial year.
    Its like saying to someone who has just started a new job part way through the year that they won't get the full increase as they were only there part of the year. It doesn't seem right.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my experience, most employers will give any excuse they can to minimise pay increases.

It's good that you are going to speak to your boss about it. Is there anyone else who started part way through the year/had an extended break? Maybe find out if they got the same thing. If they got the full increase and the only difference is that you were away due to maternity leave then yes, that is discrimination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I work in HR and agree that this is not fair. A bonus could be treated that way but not a salary increase...

I would def discuss it further with your boss and take it from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So in reality, you are only getting a 1/4 of a pay rise, since they are increasing your yearly wage by only 1.5% rather then 3%, which means you only get .75% benefit of the pay increase?

It just doesn't add up (though I am bad at math.. perhaps it's that... lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Discrimination??

It isn't discrimination and its perfectly legal. I work in HR and we do the same for people who've been on parental leave or are new starters; its called pro-rata. The people who have been there all year are given the 3% to reward them for their efforts all year. Is it fair that you get the same reward for doing half as much work as them?

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discrimination??

Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    It isn't discrimination and its perfectly legal. I work in HR and we do the same for people who've been on parental leave or are new starters; its called pro-rata. The people who have been there all year are given the 3% to reward them for their efforts all year. Is it fair that you get the same reward for doing half as much work as them?
    I think she's talking about a payrise, not a bonus payment. A payrise is for the year ahead, not the year past.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (25-10-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I'm talking about a payrise too, and whilst I understand your point regarding a payrise bring for the year ahead, it still isn't fair that a person who wasn't working for half the year gets the entire payrise when they haven't put in as much effort as everyone who was there for the full year.