+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Any Studying Psychologist's out there? Pregnant mums?

Because I am in My Master of Psychology (Clinical), and would love to know how you ladies coped and what you felt were the areas that you needed support in. In terms of uni and being pregnant. I was looking at doing my placement in a rural setting (NT corrections) but I don't think it would be in my best interest when I am further along etc. So not I have gained placement at a hospital in Melbourne which is great also.

The thing is Im stressed about the full time uni and placement load and being pregnant. After the baby is born in Feb I will start my PhD... I want to defer but then I also don't want to defer. It is a really hard decision because I adore studying and always wanted to take it all the way.

But now having a baby, well I want to take motherhood all the way. I would love to stay home for the first 6 months at least.

Hope to hear from you Psych students out there

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a friend who got pregnant during the 1st year of her master of psych, deferred for 1 year then returned part-time. I guess it depends on how much support you have with child care as the course is very full on

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is full on, thanks for your reply. How is your friend doing now? Is she finished or still part time and hows she coping?
    I think I can finish semester 2 this year fulltime as bubs due in Feb. But my second year in Masters and the final year is next year unless I am so awesome I get into the PhD (which I am keeping my fingers crossed for) then I have 3 more years to go. I think I personally feel guilty at the thought of having a perfect innocent baby and then leaving it to do a PhD. I feel like the baby is more important and I should be home But 3 years at home would probably also do my head in. The 6 months is manageable Plus I wonder if I could do placement at a place that has childcare like a womens abuse center or somthing like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My friend has finished, it just took her extra time. I don't know details about how she managed child care during placements Do you have family to help with the bub when you return to uni?