+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Curves - how was it for you?

Hi

Has anyone done curves before? How was it for you?

Likes / dislikes

Just looking for a gym closer to me and stumbled across curves I had heard about it before but sort of ignored it. I know it's not like a regular gym but I'm open to news things.

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Years ago I looked into it and decided against it. There were no creche facilities and it had really weird operating hours, they often closed in the middle of the day. They tried to sell it me that it was to encourage all the members to be social and go at the same time, but that didn't suit me. I wanted flexibility and joined a gym that had a creche and long opening hours.

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I'm a Curves member and love it. Only downside is no crèche but I work around that. I love that it's women only and the staff are fantastic with support, advice and motivation. They call to see how you are if you haven't been in and you get goo one on one time without paying extra for a PT.

I found it a lot cheaper than most other places too. The Zumba circuit is fun too.

Yes they do close between 12 and 2 some days and between 12 and 4 others and they aren't open Sunday but that's because they don't have heaps of random staff and it's a family owned franchise. I like the fact the there is only a few staff as it means they get to know the members better iykwim.

Oh and they've just released the curves complete eating plan thingy which I'm keen to get into just waiting for some medical stuff to finish first.
    Last edited by Mod-Myztik; 31-07-2012 at 21:35.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Ive been a member of curves before... And regular gyms

For me personally, i found i didnt get a good enough workout... The hours were a pain as well, and i wanted the belt myself in the head at their circut music choice... I like being able to listen to my own music. I also like utilising personal trainers etc so i find a regular gym more fitting for my needs. Im sure this is not the case for everyone, but i got the vibe that curves is a great place for older people, and people that were just into the 30 mins of exercise a day thing/ like people who enjoy going for a 30 min brisk walk a day as aposed to someone training their butts off on a cross trainer and pumping iron..

(i hope that doesnt come off as offensive, its just my experience and general perception)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I go to curves and I have also been a memebr of a ''normal'' gym.

I like curves because it is only 30 mins. It fits in with daycare so I can pop in after work and still be at daycare to pick up DD before it closes. I like getting to know all the staff and ladies who go. It doesn't both me that it is repetitive. 30 mins goes so quickly anyway!

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Lol not offensive DE. I listen to my iPod coz curves music sucks balls. They are only allowed to play certain stuff unless they pay something stupid like hundreds of dollars. It's crazy. Same as they can only use certain colour paints on the walls.

The normal curves circuit is pretty cruisy but I do the smart card one which pushes you harder. I also do stuff at home on the exercise bike as well. So badly want a treadmill or elliptical machine *cries*

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Elliptical is awesome Nel, id skip the treadmil and go for that, purely because its so much better for the joints. Harder workout for sure, but it increases your fitness a lot quicker. I went from only being able to do 3 minutes on it at a time to being able to do 40 mins straight in under 2 months! ^_^

I didnt realise curves have different circuits now, when i joined like 6 years ago it was one circuit, one soundtrack... >_< oh man.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never been to a curves but from my understanding it is more for those who just want to do some exercise to increase their fitness a bit and maybe drop some kilos in the process. If you want to make dramatic changes to your body then curves won't do it.

My April Fools baby

Thanks
    Reviews
    The circuit is still the same but the smart system makes you up your game every time. It's like an electronic personal trainer kinda thing. You put your card into each machine and t tracks yor workout and then makes ou work harder the next time to reach yor target. Although the ladies at my curves do rearrange te machines frequently so it feels like your doing a different circuit iykwim.

I guess for me because of the medical stuff I'm going through (side effects similar to chemo) it's not too much. I have lost 7kg since starting there and toned up a crap load too. It's up to the individual what you get out of it.