+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The chicken pox virus lies dormant in cells. When those cells get damaged they release the virus. If you're healthy and not stressed it doesn't matter. If you're run down in anyway you get shingles.

If you've had the chicken pox virus you're not at risk from someone having shingles. If you haven't had the chicken pox the person with shingles can give it to you. So you would catch chicken pox, not shingles.

So someone going to playgrouo with shingles deserves a kick in the bum! Seriously bad form.

I had shingles years ago and avoided a pregnant friend even though she had the chicken pox just in case.

If it is shingles there's a very good chance of every kid getting chicken pox in that group. Very selfish behaviour.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (01-08-2012),LoveLivesHere  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Has your friend had chicken pox?

You can catch chicken pox from someone with shingles if you haven't had chicken pox before, but you can't catch shingles.

Chicken pox in pregnancy is quite bad, but shingles isn't as harmful (if of course you have already had chicken pox).

The woman is an utter menace though if she is going out with shingles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This story is very familiar, although slightly different to one i encountered around 20 weeks pregnant. In my office there was myself (still am) and another lady pregnant at the same time. The other lady has a 3 y.o. Who got the chicken pox from childcare - she spent a week caringing for him on and off (came into work between times). The lady told me this after she had spent hours with me, touching me, my desk etc etc. i have not had chicken pox! How dangerous! The risk may have been very low of me catching it from her but still - she could have stayed away from me.

I know a young lady that was very sick as a baby and a toddler because her mum was unfortunate enough to get chicken pox while pregnant.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Shingles is contagious, but only if a person is exposed to the fluid that fills the blisters. It is not a virus, but does carry the chickenpox virus in the blisters. The fact that she had it covered is a good sign, but taking basic hand washing precautions is a good idea, just in case the sufferer didn't. While it is great to be aware of contagious illnesses, it's not always necessary to panic when exposed to them. 'most' contagious illnesses require close physical contact ,transmission of fluids or touching of infected surfaces then not cleaning hands. However, I would take every reasonable step to avoid exposure to chickenpox if I was not immune and I while pregnant. So if your friend has never had chickenpox, or is not sure if she is immune the doctor can test for her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shingles is contagious, but only if a person is exposed to the fluid that fills the blisters.
    I don't mean to cause offence but this is not correct. Shingles is not contagious. But the underlying virus is to those who have not had chicken pox or haven't had it for a while (you can get chicken pox more than once...I've had it three times). And it is spread by coughing, sneezing, dirty hands, scratching etc. not just exposure to blisters. In addition, not all children show symptoms so you can't always tell whether they have it or not.

Shingles won't harm your baby but chickenpox will. To that end, it is hideous that this woman has knowingly put herself in a situation that can harm others.

She should be slapped and then banned from attending.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I am fed up with mums who are sick or mums who have sick kids rocking up at day care/playgroup downplaying the consequences. We had a gastro spread last week due to a child being at playgroup who had it and the mum was like, well it's only a stomach bug, it won't harm any one. I mean, there were newborns there and the affected child was coughing and having the odd spit. I was like, wtf? Are you brain dead girl? The mind truly boggles at how stupid, selfish and up themselves some people really are.
    Last edited by Caviar; 01-08-2012 at 00:21.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I don't mean to cause offence but this is not correct. Shingles is not contagious. But the underlying virus is to those who have not had chicken pox or haven't had it for a while (you can get chicken pox more than once...I've had it three times). And it is spread by coughing, sneezing, dirty hands, scratching etc. not just exposure to blisters. In addition, not all children show symptoms so you can't always tell whether they have it or not.

Shingles won't harm your baby but chickenpox will. To that end, it is hideous that this woman has knowingly put herself in a situation that can harm others.

She should be slapped and then banned from attending.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but I am fed up with mums who are sick or mums who have sick kids rocking up at day care/playgroup downplaying the consequences. We had a gastro spread last week due to a child being at playgroup who had it and the mum was like, well it's only a stomach bug, it won't harm any one. I mean, there were newborns there and the affected child was coughing and having the odd spit. I was like, wtf? Are you brain dead girl? The mind truly boggles at how stupid, selfish and up themselves some people really are.
    I completely agree.

What an ignorant fool!! Can you contact you playgroup and inform them, make them send her a letter/phone call about NOT attending playgroup when sick, also a pamphlet about shingles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had singles recently when I was really run down. It's only contagious of you touch the "fluid" in the blister.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes- because heaven forbid you miss one week of playgroup. Shock, horror! What if she had touched her blisters and not washed her hands, and then touched someone - could they then get chickepox?

Stay at home and don't be so selfish -it is hardly like you are missing something majorly important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also.. Can you even get shingles on your cheek? Isn't it normally the back, hips, ribs area? I've had it 4 times now and it's always been on my lower back along the nerve line

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Herpes Zoster is NOT as contagious as varicella. A person who has herpes zoster does not get the cold symptoms and is not contagious via nasal droplets or the cough. Current medical practice is to inform those suffering herpes zoster just to cover up the rash and not to allow anyone to touch it- which sounds like what the Mum was doing!

NSW Shingles Fact Sheet

Australian Herpes Management Fast Facts
    That's very interesting. Clearly if this pregnant lady has no intention of running her hands over the infected blisters, then it's no big deal. It sounds as though it was managed properly and everything was done correctly. No need to create panic.