+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Modern Cloth Nappy Care!!

I was just hoping someone could help me with what you use to wash your MCN's with? I've googles for hours on end how to wash them so I know what to do (kind of) but I don't actually know what to use. Some places say use vinegar, some say that'll ruin the absorbency like fabric softeners. If you'd be able to tell me what products you use for your mcn's and your washing routine for them I'd be ever so greatful! Hearing it from other mums makes it more understandable than just standard "how to's"
    Thankyou all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I rinse then leave them in a bucket for 1-2 days. Then I put them in the machine on a 19 minute rinse cycle. Then add DS' other clothes and 1 tsp of homemade washing powder and wash. I always make sure they get at least some outside drying time for the uv light.

Homemade washing powder is equal parts bicarb, lectric washing soda powder and lux soap flakes. Use 1 tsp for front loader and 3 tsp for top loader.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

gluteousmaximus  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I use eco store soaker powder mixed with lectric soda - it ends up the same as Rock n Green. Never an issue with my nappies, though I do a quarterly strip wash (2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid). I wash every 2 days apart from the days after vaccinations or anytime dd has had panadol, when i wash daily.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

DianneWhitty  (19-02-2016),gluteousmaximus  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh! Thankyou both ever so kindly how many do you use in a day or how many would be good for a weeks worth? I wanna make sure I have enough also thinking of getting those bamboo liners to make cleaning a bit easier too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I use homebrand nappy liners, they go in the bin though, not in the wash.

I probably use about 4-5 a day. About 20 is good if you are washing every second day although if you want to use them for a newborn you'll need about a million cos they poo so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use about 6 nappies a day (changing every 2 hours during the day and in disposables overnight) would prob start with minimum of about 20 for daytime use- that's if you wash everyday, you'll need more if you don't. A few more would probably be better anyway as all you need is a couple of rainy days where nothing dries and you run out so fast.
    I don't use nappy liners - for pooey nappies I rinse and soak straightaway and then the sun bleaches the stains out. I do live in QLD though so plenty of sun here for that.
    For washing I use about a dessert spoonful of our normal washing powder. Cold wash, normal 45min cycle. Works well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got an all natural, enzyme free plant based washing detergent from Enjo. It's about $20 for the bottle, but I only use 1 squirt, apparently it will last for about 100 washes. I also have flushable liners that are safe for the toilet regardless of your septic system. I buy them off eBay for about $10 for a huge roll.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been using MCN for almost 12 months now and tried lots of different washing methods I've settled on the following: at the end of each day I take the dirty nappies from the dry bucket and put them through a cold rinse in my machine, once the bucket is full I put everything in put on cold rinse once this is done I put 2 table spoons lectric soda in the soap dispenser and put on the longest wash setting on 60 degrees with an extra rinse at the end. None of my nappies smell or have any stains we don't use liners on any of them, just scrape solids into the toilet. Sun is your best friend when it comes to Stains or smells!

I have 50+ nappies in my stash which lasts about a week without washing if it's pouring rain. I would have at least 30 for a newborn as they need to be changed quite often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started off with 24 but ended up purchasing another pack of 8 as I was just getting by on the 24... I try to wash every 2 days.
    I also use disposables of a night (really wish I could get mcn to work for me of a night)

I use "tiny bubbles" detergent.. I got a box for free when I first purchased my mcn so I got a few more boxes.. I've been using mcn for 5 months now and have only used about 1/2 a box.
    I have a front loader and wash the nappies on a "daily wash" cycle with an extra rinse... I don't rinse prior to washing at all... Just chuck them in poo and all (bubs is bf so i can't really flush much)

I also hang them on the line for a full day of sunlight to get rid of stains/smells and them put them in the dryer for 15 to soften them up again.

I use bamboo flushable liners to protect the nappies against nappy rash cream...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have used MCN's from when DS was 3 weeks old. He's now 2,5 and no interest in toilet training yet. So he's still mostly in MCN's.

I have made a bunch of microfiber liners to keep his bum extra dry. I just shake out the poo in the toilet and put the nappy in the nappy bucket.
    I wash nappies every 2nd day. I also do a cold rinse cycle before washing to get rid of urine smells. People who have bought used nappies off me, have all been impressed with the lack of a urine smell in my nappies.
    I NEVER wash my nappies over 40 degrees as this will shorten the life of the elastics. This is the same reason why you should avoid drying nappies in a dryer, too often.
    I perfer to dry mine in the sun to disinfect and keep the inners nice and bright.
    When it rains, I put them on a clothes horse in the livingroom.

I used to wash my nappies with Rocking Green, but I found this to be a rather expensive detergent. I then went over to Ecostore Laundry Soaker (buy it at Woolworths) and have never looked back.
    When DS was a bit younger, I had well over 130 nappies and more than 50 of them were custom made nappies with an impressive price tag. Even those nappies I washed with the Ecostore stuff.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

DianneWhitty  (19-02-2016)