+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby monitors?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, feel free to move mods.

I need a monitor as last time we were given one and it broke so I threw it away.
    I need to know what a good in expensive one is that doesn't hear other people and can't hear me during the night. I would also like temperature of room too but not necessary as I will get another gro egg as I still use DD and she is 3. Any ideas would be great!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can highly recommend Oricom. We had been through several baby monitors over the years, none were great, all probably cost around $70 - $80 and they always gave off a constant humming noise when turned on. DD1 has some medical issues and we need to be able to hear her at night so we finally decided to buy a decent monitor.

I went with Oricom after posting on here and getting some good comments about them. I love that it gives off absolutely no static hum so I can leave it on all day. The sound is incredibly clear, I can hear DD make the slightest cough, grunt or snore. They also do a video monitor but we didn't feel we needed that option - it was the clarity of sound I wanted.

The model we have also gives the temp of the room and has a night light option - it is the Oricom Secure 500. I also like that you can press and hold a button on the receiver button so you can talk back to the child or adult in the room with the child - handy for us if I need to call out to DH for help he can pick up the monitor in our room and ask what I need etc.

It also has great coverage and I can go outside to the end of our backyard and still hear DD very clearly. I have never heard anyone else - we had one years ago that I could faintly hear the radio on & another at times you could hear voices - presumably from someone up the street!

We got ours off ebay & it came with a 3 year warranty. Think we paid about $100 for it, which is pretty good value - compared to the price of the cr@ppy ones we had paid about $70 for in the past (Fisher Price, Roger Armstrong & Sleep Easy are 3 brands I can remember that didn't work well and gave off a static hum).

Goodluck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    sorry, I am also wondering about monitors. What is a grow egg?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpottySocks View Post
    I can highly recommend Oricom. We had been through several baby monitors over the years, none were great, all probably cost around $70 - $80 and they always gave off a constant humming noise when turned on.
    ^^ this. We have the same and it's awesome. Doesn't pick up static from any of our other devices either.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toomanyboys For This Useful Post:

Eko  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just get a video one...amazing!! I love mine so awesome to be able to have a quick look and see what he's doing in bed. Can see if he's asleep or just lying there playing...mine's a Tomy but I've heard the oricom one is pretty great too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oricom here too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love our Oricom sc700 (video monitor). I think our dd sleeps better because of it. Seriously! If I hear her cry out I look at the monitor rather than going in and if she's just repositioning herself in her cot & not really awake I don't need to go in, but if I did go in she would probably wake up. I remember having noise come through the (audio) monitor with my ds and even if it was only one cry I would worry about him til I checked on him and invariably it would wake him (but of course it was hard to tell if I'd woken him cause I wasn't sure if he was really awake or not). Hope I'm making sense. It has a thermometer and the screen doesn't need to be on all the time at night - you can set it to only go on if bubs makes noise.

It's not a perfect monitor, it has a few annoying issues like it beeps when you turn it on, but I really like it heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been looking at an Oricom.. My one question is.. How long does the battery last? We were babysitting our nephew and it only lasted 3 hours tops! They just had the temperature one.. We are looking at the video one.. But not sure how useful it will be if the battery doesn't last long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    It has a thermometer and the screen doesn't need to be on all the time at night - you can set it to only go on if bubs makes noise.
    Ahhh I *knew* it did this but DH keeps saying that I am thinking of a different one! Please tell me how??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyaboutbubs View Post
    I've been looking at an Oricom.. My one question is.. How long does the battery last? We were babysitting our nephew and it only lasted 3 hours tops! They just had the temperature one.. We are looking at the video one.. But not sure how useful it will be if the battery doesn't last long.
    Ours (Oricom sc700) lasts about 8 hrs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ElleB For This Useful Post:

crazyaboutbubs  (31-07-2012)