+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had mine for over a year and have used it every day. I don't use it for main meals unless I can't be bothered cooking. I use it to make the veggie stock concentrate (best thing about having a TM and has saved me a fortune just in store bought stocks!), sauces, nut spreads, dips, curry pastes, smoothies and coconut milk icecream. I also use it every day to grind up chia seeds, walnuts, pepitas, etc to hide in DS's meals or bliss balls.
    I also use it to make washing powder which has saved heaps of money.
    We started saving $50 - $80 a week when I first bought it. Spending so much more now but switched to all organic but our shopping would be so cheap if it wasn't organic.
    The biggest thing for me was that it allowed me to really cook everything from scratch without spending all day in the kitchen. It also allowed us to remove all preservatives and artificial ingredients as well as minimising exposure to chemicals in packaging and the BPA in tins.
    My mother bought one and hasn't used it since she got it 6 months ago. She has the same attitude she did when getting a computer for the first time and doesn't know what to do with it. I just know if she just started with anything she'd realise how easy it is and find so many ways of using it and cutting out the junk she eats now as well as saving so much money.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hemakesthree For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Blenders suck in comparison!! Good luck getting a friend to part with theirs. There's no way I'd hand mine over to someone for a few days! I love it too much! Good luck with your decision...it is a lot of money.
    A few days??!! I said play - at their house I have good friends, they'll let me.

If it wasn't the money factor I'd have one now. It's just a lot for something I'm not completely sold on that I'd get enough use.

Ah who am I kidding. I'm a sucker, I'll probably get one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    A few days??!! I said play - at their house I have good friends, they'll let me.

If it wasn't the money factor I'd have one now. It's just a lot for something I'm not completely sold on that I'd get enough use.

Ah who am I kidding. I'm a sucker, I'll probably get one.
    Oh okay! hahaha I know people who borrow their friends or their IL's or whatever to see if they'd use it and I don't understand how anyone can give theirs up for a few days/weeks!! It's such a shocking thought for me!
    It is a lot of money...troll forums and blogs...start looking for thermomix recipes of things you like to cook now. Could help you make up your mind. I have to admit I did have a panic moment after I'd bought mine of 'omg what if I don't like it and don't use it enough.' Luckily, that wasn't the case for me.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    have a play with one benji - you are definately time poor so it could be handy but i dunno???

what meals woudl you make with it that you cant now?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wastingtime View Post
    Oh okay! hahaha I know people who borrow their friends or their IL's or whatever to see if they'd use it and I don't understand how anyone can give theirs up for a few days/weeks!! It's such a shocking thought for me!
    It is a lot of money...troll forums and blogs...start looking for thermomix recipes of things you like to cook now. Could help you make up your mind. I have to admit I did have a panic moment after I'd bought mine of 'omg what if I don't like it and don't use it enough.' Luckily, that wasn't the case for me.
    I will definitely do that. Lol - I know some die hard thermo fans who I imagine it would be like giving away a child! I would never ask someone to do that for me I've already been looking at Quirky Jo thanks to this thread, she seems good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    have a play with one benji - you are definately time poor so it could be handy but i dunno???

what meals woudl you make with it that you cant now?
    I can't really think of anything that I can't make now that makes me think I desperately need a thermomix, I actually liked the risotto at the demo lol so I was thinking for things like that it would save me time in evenings. The fact that you're not a die hard fan makes me think twice because man I love food and cooking... and eating!

Sorry, I'm hijacking! Hope the OP has got her answer among all of this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It IS a great deal of money!

I never dreamed of owning one, could always think of something else to do with the house that I could spend two grand on... but then I went to a few demos, and ended up having my own - it has changed the way we eat, and we are still in the 'experimental mode'.

As PPs have said, saving time/limiting mess is awesome, knowing what exactly has gone into the meal (I have a son with some intolerances - no allergies here, but I have a friend who has kids with pretty severe allergies, and she loves her thermie)

It was a little over whelming to start with stocking up the pantry on so many 'new' types of staples -- but it was great to finally realise what a pantry is meant for!! - these ingrediants last for aaaages and then we just get fresh meat/vege etc (am slowly filling up my raised garden bed so I can grow my own herbs!)

I have the Rainbow Foods cookbook which is really RAW - it is something that we couldn't stick to as a family as we still love our eggs and dairy..but we are going to trial some of the recipes and find some favs.

Like I said we are still experimenting, going through the few books we have and finding what we like, and working out what is an 'easy' meal and what takes a little more time so I can meal plan in the future.

My oven still gets used a great deal, the stove top not as much, but it still gets used.

Grocery wise I have managed to skip a whole week of shopping every now and then, just running out to grab some milk because of how easy it is to come up with something with the bits and pieces in the cupboards and fridge.

When trying to 'justify' the dollars we spent, for us it was easy - a family of five who had take away at least once a week (because sometimes Mum can just not be bothered cooking and Dad is sick of scrambled eggs on toast on those nights) -- it would be about $50 on average to feed all of us..so that once a week over 12 a year = the $2K.
    Totally put it into perspective for me.

ETA> oh and re the risotto... it is a meal that I would NEVER attempt, I haven't got the time nor patience to stand at a stove continually stiring like that, Risotto is now our QUICK meal on teh arvos the kids have soccer training.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 01-08-2012 at 12:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE] I use it to make the veggie stock concentrate (best thing about having a TM and has saved me a fortune just in store bought stocks!)

You can make stocks?! I am in love! How do you go about making a typical veggie stock?

Please tell me more! I have tried this in the past. Wasn't thrilled with my results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Lissy12;6727512]
    I use it to make the veggie stock concentrate (best thing about having a TM and has saved me a fortune just in store bought stocks!)

You can make stocks?! I am in love! How do you go about making a typical veggie stock?

Please tell me more! I have tried this in the past. Wasn't thrilled with my results.
    There's a recipe in the Everyday Cooking cookbook for the basic vegetable stock concentrate. You just blend up veggies with some herbs, add a tablespoon of oil and some salt (I only use 2 tablespoons of Himalayan salt rather than the 150g they suggest in the recipe) and then cook for 20 minutes and blend for 1 minute. I keep it in the freezer and if you use a decent amount of salt it won't freeze. But if you use the stock often enough it's fine in the fridge too. A tablespoon of the stock is equivalent to one stock cube or you can add 1 tablespoon to 500ml water to make a liquid stock. Best thing ever!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I'm hijacking! Hope the OP has got her answer among all of this [/QUOTE]

She did!

It is this: she really needs a Thermomix! Haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Side note, turns out I can't quote properly with my new phone!