+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, Wasting Time... I think you may need a new username!

Thank you so much for your posts. They were exactly the sort of thing is was hoping to read.

My ds has intolerances and I've been off dairy, soy, eggs and nuts for nearly 4 months as we're breastfeeding. I go through so much rice milk, too! I'm also becoming really passionate about eating whole foods, but decidedly less passionate about how scarce they are (true whole foods, that is) and how much they cost! I'm all for supporting health food stores and organic grocers, but there has to be a happy medium; we can't finance the cost of shopping exclusively at a health food store. Yikes!

I'm especially excited at the idea of making own milk, milling own flour, making dips... Just generally stuff from scratch!

I love making big batches of vegetable stews with pulses and grains. Can you do bulk batches in the Thermomix?

Also, the husband is trying to steer me towards the thermo chef. My research tells me not to listen! Lol... It will probably be a purchase further down the track anyway.

Thanks again for all the in(spiration)fo!

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i only have a thermochef, one day will get a thermomix just not yet.
    I have noticed a HUG differnce in shopping no longer by any jars of sauces or packets anything like that just fresh herbs dried herbs, i buy more cream now and milk and coconut milk, i dont by mince i buy nice steak and mince it my self. I buy way more fresh stuff i love it.
    no ice creams, bickies or cake any more either

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

Guest1234  (01-08-2012),Lissy12  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a Maxi. I used it a lot to start with but now maybe every 2nd day or so. I have been buying a lot of ginger, garlic and onions as these are the base of a lot recipes, plus spices and fresh herbs (though I grow most of my own). It is a different style of cooking, not the same favors as you get from the stove/oven.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to beancounter For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Oh dear. Now I'm feeling incredibly guilty that I haven't done my thermy justice yet
    Oh I didn't mean to make you feel bad! Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Lissy12 View Post
    Wow, Wasting Time... I think you may need a new username!

Thank you so much for your posts. They were exactly the sort of thing is was hoping to read.

My ds has intolerances and I've been off dairy, soy, eggs and nuts for nearly 4 months as we're breastfeeding. I go through so much rice milk, too! I'm also becoming really passionate about eating whole foods, but decidedly less passionate about how scarce they are (true whole foods, that is) and how much they cost! I'm all for supporting health food stores and organic grocers, but there has to be a happy medium; we can't finance the cost of shopping exclusively at a health food store. Yikes!

I'm especially excited at the idea of making own milk, milling own flour, making dips... Just generally stuff from scratch!

I love making big batches of vegetable stews with pulses and grains. Can you do bulk batches in the Thermomix?

Also, the husband is trying to steer me towards the thermo chef. My research tells me not to listen! Lol... It will probably be a purchase further down the track anyway.

Thanks again for all the in(spiration)fo!
    The thermomix feeds my family of 5 for one night basically....however, I used to be really in to making bulk lots of food to make life easier at dinner time, but I don't really feel the need to any more. It's a 2L bowl so that's what you can fit in it...but then you have your varoma for extra food...it makes quite a decent amount of food for one sitting and if we had less mouths to feed we'd get two nights out of dinner out of one meal.

However, to give you an idea...tonight we're having potato and leek soup for dinner because bed time is 7pm and we'll get home at 6.15pm. The thermomix will chop and saute my leek and onion, I'll roughly chop the potatoes (I buy washed ones and then I don't need to peel them), throw them in with water and stock and some seasoning and turn it on for 15 minutes and will get the kids showered and dressed and read a quick story and then we'll sit down to dinner together.
    Before a 'quick' meal for me was 30 minutes in the kitchen (and in the kitchen nearly the whole time). Now a quick meal is 10 minutes in the kitchen. I make a delicious vegetable stew with a lentil gravy and it takes me 10 minutes to get it ready, thermomix cooks for 30 minutes while I go do other stuff and dinner is ready.
    It's just so easy. I debated between a thermochef and thermomix considering the price difference but I really do love my inbuilt scales...saves me more time and then there's less clean up cause I haven't had to measure everything first...I have never used a thermochef so hard to compare but I do love my thermie and I am glad I chose it!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I was so sure I wanted one... now I just don't know. I already know how to make jam, I bake, I don't use packets or jars ever.

I enjoy cooking but wanted one for weekdays when DP and I have been at work all day and have about an hour to have dinner up and served.

Might have to do some more research.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    im kinda with FOBS - but no allergies - im just used to cooking MY way and I find it hard to adjust to their recipes - its twice the effort and I truly don't believe the food tastes better - I honestly 100% think it tastes worst.

No way their risotto tastes better then risotto cooked properly on the stove - I have done it both ways several times and nope it simply doesn't.

I have to ask wastingtime - how can you possibly do a stir fry in it???

I think its a great machine - I use it for lots of prep but not actual cooking. Like I said I don't like the flavour/or lack there of when you cook a curry, caserole, risotto or seomthing in the actual machine. But I love using it to chop of vegies for soups, bologanise, making curry paste/powders, lots of desserts, pastries, breads etc.

The only think I have prob swapped to was the mash spuds - BUT it takes so long to steam anything on top that I end up needing to use a pot to steam and half the time just throuhg the spuds in teh bottom of the pot.

I do use it EVERY SINGLE DAY since being pregnant to blend my sustagen for breakfast...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I was so sure I wanted one... now I just don't know. I already know how to make jam, I bake, I don't use packets or jars ever.

I enjoy cooking but wanted one for weekdays when DP and I have been at work all day and have about an hour to have dinner up and served.

Might have to do some more research.
    Do you only have to serve up dinner in an hour? That's a HUGE amount of time to cook dinner for me. Really, huge.

Here are some questions to ask yourself...

Do you have anything else you could be doing while dinner is cooking that would free up some more of your time either late that night or on the weekend? (be it time with your child/children before they go to bed, folding washing, getting things ready for the next day like school/work lunches etc.)

Do you take more than 10-15 minutes cleaning up the kitchen after you cook?

Do you enjoy standing over a stove (if you do then the thermomix is not for you)?

Do you wish it took you less time to make some of the things you make from scratch?

If you answer yes to any of these (except the stove cooking one) then I believe that a thermomix would be a great thing for you to have.

I don't sell these by the way, I just really love mine and 110% believe that every single household would benefit from one, the only exception is for those who enjoy standing over the stove and find that relaxing(I have a friend who does). The only reason you wouldn't get use out of it is if you didn't take a bit of time at the beginning getting recipes/meal ideas/tweaking foods to your taste.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    im kinda with FOBS - but no allergies - im just used to cooking MY way and I find it hard to adjust to their recipes - its twice the effort and I truly don't believe the food tastes better - I honestly 100% think it tastes worst.

No way their risotto tastes better then risotto cooked properly on the stove - I have done it both ways several times and nope it simply doesn't.

I have to ask wastingtime - how can you possibly do a stir fry in it???

I think its a great machine - I use it for lots of prep but not actual cooking. Like I said I don't like the flavour/or lack there of when you cook a curry, caserole, risotto or seomthing in the actual machine. But I love using it to chop of vegies for soups, bologanise, making curry paste/powders, lots of desserts, pastries, breads etc.

The only think I have prob swapped to was the mash spuds - BUT it takes so long to steam anything on top that I end up needing to use a pot to steam and half the time just throuhg the spuds in teh bottom of the pot.

I do use it EVERY SINGLE DAY since being pregnant to blend my sustagen for breakfast...
    Stir fry is easy...of course it's a bit of a different taste to a sitr fry cooked on a stove but the convenience and the fact that I don't end up with oil drops splattered all over my kitchen makes it so worth it. I haven't used my wok since getting my thermomix.

I cook rice in my rice cooker (it can be done in the thermie, but I'm just never organised enough to cook it first) then add sweet potato and tofu in the bottom, with onion, garlic and the sauce I want to use. Steam vegies on top. I don't use meat but I don't see why you couldn't have meat and vegies on top and a sauce cooking in the bottom. I use the chinese stir fried vegies in the EDC book for my cooking times. Making this particular stir fry was my husband's favourite meal...making it in the thermomix he loves it even more. Seriously, he gets so excited when I tell him that is what is cooking.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wastingtime For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, from the second we walk in the door we have at maximum to have dinner prepared and served so DS is in bed on time - including getting our stuff in, emptying lunchboxes, bags, changing out of work gear etc.

I do enjoy standing over a stove but mainly on Friday/Saturday nights when things aren't so hectic. On weekdays it's a pain because I get home with DS at 5.30 pm and he has to be in bed at 7.30 at the absolute latest to avoid being tired at school.

It's just a LOT of money to part with for something that I may not end up absolutely loving. If it was just to help with prep I could use my blender TBH.

Might see if my friends will let me have a play with theirs first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Yes, from the second we walk in the door we have at maximum to have dinner prepared and served so DS is in bed on time - including getting our stuff in, emptying lunchboxes, bags, changing out of work gear etc.

I do enjoy standing over a stove but mainly on Friday/Saturday nights when things aren't so hectic. On weekdays it's a pain because I get home with DS at 5.30 pm and he has to be in bed at 7.30 at the absolute latest to avoid being tired at school.

It's just a LOT of money to part with for something that I may not end up absolutely loving. If it was just to help with prep I could use my blender TBH.

Might see if my friends will let me have a play with theirs first.
    Blenders suck in comparison!! Good luck getting a friend to part with theirs. There's no way I'd hand mine over to someone for a few days! I love it too much! Good luck with your decision...it is a lot of money.