+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thermomix and your weekly grocery shop

To those of you who have a Thermomix and use it thoroughly, I'm wondering how your shopping list has changed. Would you mind commenting on the questions below?

What do you no longer buy?
    What do you buy that you didn't used to?
    Do you think you're saving money, and if so how much?

Thank you to any responders.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. My thermomix and I aren't talking at the moment.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Oh no! Can I ask why?

I make most things from scratch as it is but want one for time-saving purposes. Still looking into whether it's worth it for my family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Oh no! Can I ask why?

I make most things from scratch as it is but want one for time-saving purposes. Still looking into whether it's worth it for my family.

I've stuffed up the last 4 dishes I've made in it... I have to have nut, dairy, egg and wheat free and she's being difficult about it.

I NEVER menu plan and I always just throw something together when I open the fridge each day for dinner.
    DH is never home for dinner so it's always just a kid friendly meal (pasta, homemade nuggets with vegies etc etc.)
    The thermomix is a very structured way of cooking and to be honest I find it overwhelming to have to follow a recipe. I'm just not use to it. I'm so tied up with kids hanging off me each day and don't have time to look up recipes then shop for them...?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I've stuffed up the last 4 dishes I've made in it... I have to have nut, dairy, egg and wheat free and she's being difficult about it.

I NEVER menu plan and I always just throw something together when I open the fridge each day for dinner.
    DH is never home for dinner so it's always just a kid friendly meal (pasta, homemade nuggets with vegies etc etc.)
    The thermomix is a very structured way of cooking and to be honest I find it overwhelming to have to follow a recipe. I'm just not use to it. I'm so tied up with kids hanging off me each day and don't have time to look up recipes then shop for them...?
    Thanks heaps for that!

Yes, my worry is that it will just end up being a very expensive blender in my kitchen. Hopefully some of the girls here can help with your dilemma - surely there's a way around your problems - I sure hope so for the price

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'll be back

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing for same reason!
    I used it heaps in first few weeks, now it's been weeks since I even contemplated it. I find the pre-planning of everything a tad hard so far....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Thanks heaps for that!

Yes, my worry is that it will just end up being a very expensive blender in my kitchen. Hopefully some of the girls here can help with your dilemma - surely there's a way around your problems - I sure hope so for the price
    Me too! It's not as though I can make a hollandaise sauce in it... *sigh*
    I made an egg, dairy, wheat free chocolate cake yesterday and because I didn't follow a theeeermomix recipe, the flat, vile piece of cr@p ended up in the bin..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Subbing for same reason!
    I used it heaps in first few weeks, now it's been weeks since I even contemplated it. I find the pre-planning of everything a tad hard so far....

OH.EM.GEE!
    So it's not just me...? Phew. I can fell your pain, your $1900 worth of pain...

And to be honest, everything I HAVE made in it (except for anzac biscuits, one soup and steamed fish) has been revolting.
    Risotto - gross. Chicken thing - gross. Steamed sausages - GROSS. Cakes - gross.
    I'm back at uni now (hence my procrastination posts today) and I can't fit another "to do" thing in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't use it for main meals but for elements of meals like béchamel sauce, pizza dough, etc.

I use it heaps - bread dough, jams, custard, frothing milk for coffee, steaming veg or dumplings, cooking rice for DS (I do family rice Japanese style in rice cooker), tuna mornay or macaroni cheese for DS, heaps and heaps of muffins, cakes, etc and soups.