+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 105
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    258
    Thanked
    115
    Reviews
    1

    Default Thermomix and your weekly grocery shop

    To those of you who have a Thermomix and use it thoroughly, I'm wondering how your shopping list has changed. Would you mind commenting on the questions below?

    What do you no longer buy?
    What do you buy that you didn't used to?
    Do you think you're saving money, and if so how much?

    Thank you to any responders.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sautéed with bacon
    Posts
    6,070
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked
    2,695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Subbing. My thermomix and I aren't talking at the moment.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

    bokkie_wotwot  (01-08-2012)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Subbing. My thermomix and I aren't talking at the moment.
    Oh no! Can I ask why?


    I make most things from scratch as it is but want one for time-saving purposes. Still looking into whether it's worth it for my family.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sautéed with bacon
    Posts
    6,070
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked
    2,695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Oh no! Can I ask why?


    I make most things from scratch as it is but want one for time-saving purposes. Still looking into whether it's worth it for my family.

    I've stuffed up the last 4 dishes I've made in it... I have to have nut, dairy, egg and wheat free and she's being difficult about it.


    I NEVER menu plan and I always just throw something together when I open the fridge each day for dinner.
    DH is never home for dinner so it's always just a kid friendly meal (pasta, homemade nuggets with vegies etc etc.)
    The thermomix is a very structured way of cooking and to be honest I find it overwhelming to have to follow a recipe. I'm just not use to it. I'm so tied up with kids hanging off me each day and don't have time to look up recipes then shop for them...?

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (01-08-2012)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    19,776
    Thanks
    5,212
    Thanked
    7,063
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    I've stuffed up the last 4 dishes I've made in it... I have to have nut, dairy, egg and wheat free and she's being difficult about it.


    I NEVER menu plan and I always just throw something together when I open the fridge each day for dinner.
    DH is never home for dinner so it's always just a kid friendly meal (pasta, homemade nuggets with vegies etc etc.)
    The thermomix is a very structured way of cooking and to be honest I find it overwhelming to have to follow a recipe. I'm just not use to it. I'm so tied up with kids hanging off me each day and don't have time to look up recipes then shop for them...?
    Thanks heaps for that!

    Yes, my worry is that it will just end up being a very expensive blender in my kitchen. Hopefully some of the girls here can help with your dilemma - surely there's a way around your problems - I sure hope so for the price

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

    faroutbrusselsprout  (31-07-2012)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    14,057
    Thanks
    1,875
    Thanked
    2,608
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'll be back

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,666
    Thanks
    1,426
    Thanked
    1,431
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Subbing. My thermomix and I aren't talking at the moment.
    Subbing for same reason!
    I used it heaps in first few weeks, now it's been weeks since I even contemplated it. I find the pre-planning of everything a tad hard so far....

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sautéed with bacon
    Posts
    6,070
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked
    2,695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Thanks heaps for that!

    Yes, my worry is that it will just end up being a very expensive blender in my kitchen. Hopefully some of the girls here can help with your dilemma - surely there's a way around your problems - I sure hope so for the price
    Me too! It's not as though I can make a hollandaise sauce in it... *sigh*
    I made an egg, dairy, wheat free chocolate cake yesterday and because I didn't follow a theeeermomix recipe, the flat, vile piece of cr@p ended up in the bin..

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sautéed with bacon
    Posts
    6,070
    Thanks
    271
    Thanked
    2,695
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    Subbing for same reason!
    I used it heaps in first few weeks, now it's been weeks since I even contemplated it. I find the pre-planning of everything a tad hard so far....

    OH.EM.GEE!
    So it's not just me...? Phew. I can fell your pain, your $1900 worth of pain...

    And to be honest, everything I HAVE made in it (except for anzac biscuits, one soup and steamed fish) has been revolting.
    Risotto - gross. Chicken thing - gross. Steamed sausages - GROSS. Cakes - gross.
    I'm back at uni now (hence my procrastination posts today) and I can't fit another "to do" thing in.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5,530
    Thanks
    377
    Thanked
    1,526
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't use it for main meals but for elements of meals like béchamel sauce, pizza dough, etc.

    I use it heaps - bread dough, jams, custard, frothing milk for coffee, steaming veg or dumplings, cooking rice for DS (I do family rice Japanese style in rice cooker), tuna mornay or macaroni cheese for DS, heaps and heaps of muffins, cakes, etc and soups.


 

Similar Threads

  1. New house-First grocery shop.
    By One of THOSE mums! in forum House & Gardens
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-10-2012, 18:36
  2. How much is your weekly grocery shop?
    By Nemmy in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 12-07-2012, 12:13
  3. Thermomix
    By rachel27 in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-06-2012, 13:57

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Heinz Baby Basics
Our BPA Free range offers you a choice for every stage of your baby’s feeding development. You’ll love our brilliant colours, inspired designs and innovative features. Heinz Baby Basics caters for your baby’s needs!
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!