+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jo7 View Post
    Are u quoting the article that quotes another article that quotes another article? Something written in 2009? If u look it up you'll see that in 2012 the American Medical Association has adopted the stance of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine that ultrasound technology is perfectly safe. That's the thing about the net, dig hard enough and u find enough "proof" for both sides of an argument.

Regardless, it's no ones concern why any woman chooses to have early scans - whether for dating or any other reason. Why can't u just be supportive of other women and their choices?
    I didn't say they said they were unsafe. They do not, however, recommend against unnecessary exposure.

I have not been unsupportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Ehm I would like to know as early as possible if my baby's position isn't favourable. Having no ultrasound to determine early that I am having an ectopic pregnancy, can lead to serious complications and even death. So I'd rather have an early U/S to check if everything is ok, than wait until it's too late.

Also, I would like to know if I am having twins so that I am not unpleasantly surprised and unexpectedly have to blow a budget on buying everything double.

But that's just me.
    That is not the point of their argument.

You don't need an ultrasound to determine if baby is breech, a midwife should be able to locate the head by feeling. And HCG levels are a good measure of "normal" pregnancy. There are also other ways to determine twin pregnancies. That is what they mean by unnecessary exposure.

I think people have taken offence when none was intended.

People are saying they had a scan because they didn't know when their period was, or their hcg wasn't compatible with dates. In the OP, I asked why have a dating scan if you know your exact dates, not why did you have a scan if you don't know how far you were.

Anyway, so some people have dating scans for peace of mind, or for problems with previous pregnancies, so now I "understand"
    Last edited by BigRedV; 02-08-2012 at 19:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a dating scan because I needed to see the bubba to actually believe I was pregnant. In saying that too, I found out at the 'dating' scan that I had internal bleeding. If I didn't have the scan I would have continued playing sport and my baby (due in sep) would probably have been lost... So it's lucky that I did!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Mine was a peace of mind thing. I was anxious due to my prev miscarriages and seeing that heartbeat really relaxed me. I knew my dates but my GP was happy to refer me. I did skip the NT scan though as we agreed we wouldn't terminate either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    In the case of blighted ovum, I understand the hcg contiue to rise with no baby in sac

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This reminds me of when someone posted on here about a correlation between ultrasounds and left-handedness. Lol. It must be why my little dude is left-handed...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know that hcg levels are that accurate, mine were almost double.

*sorry about the pre mod post, over sensitivephone*
    Last edited by wigglemay; 02-08-2012 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    first pregnancy... miscarriage, took it's natural course, got pregnant again straight away so no idea when i ovulated

2nd pregnancy after having implanon out so first cycle (ovulated like day 21 or something)

Also had it so that dates were accurate as this can impact on needing 2nd c-section... eg if OB only lets you go 7 days over for Vbac and you are a week different in your dates you want ot be sure

Thanks
    Reviews
    She meant position as in ectopic or not. You cannot judge that by feel.

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    That is not the point of their argument.

You don't need an ultrasound to determine if baby is breech, a midwife should be able to locate the head by feeling. And HCG levels are a good measure of "normal" pregnancy. There are also other ways to determine twin pregnancies. That is what they mean by unnecessary exposure.

I think people have taken offence when none was intended.

People are saying they had a scan because they didn't know when their period was, or their hcg wasn't compatible with dates. In the OP, I asked why have a dating scan if you know your exact dates, not why did you have a scan if you don't know how far you were.

Anyway, so some people have dating scans for peace of mind, or for problems with previous pregnancies, so now I "understand"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    This reminds me of when someone posted on here about a correlation between ultrasounds and left-handedness. Lol. It must be why my little dude is left-handed...
    Really???? Fancy that, DS is left handed......

Quote Originally Posted by babybubbles View Post
    She meant position as in ectopic or not. You cannot judge that by feel.
    That's what I meant. I am talking about issues that arise in early pregnancy and that can end up fatal if not detected in time.
    Molar pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy, blighted ovum, etc. They can not be identified by "touch" or hcg levels. The levels will still go up, even though the pregnancy will eventually no longer be viable. Yet by that time, it can have caused severe damaged to the mothers reproductive organs.