+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lili81 View Post
    Thanks HappyMum2! I am in Fitzroy. We announced the big news to our immediate families yesterday. So I got to speak with my SIL who had 2 babies at St Vincent.
    She also gave me a name of a good GP in the clinic I usually go to. Will give him a call

So many options for pregnancy care in Australia. It makes my head spin!!

Does anyone know if you can go public with the Royal Women and then give birth at Frances Perry? Since I am covered with PHI I might as well try and use it!
    I'm not 100% sure but I've definitely heard of people with PHI go through a public hospital but getting their own room etc. No harm in asking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have tried and reached RW Hospital but can't get through. They must be busy.

The birthing suites at Frances Perry look great, huge bath!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A good friend of mine who had her bubs at frances perry ended up needing an emergency c/s so was in hospital for nearly a week. They set up a bed in her room for her DH and he stayed the whole time with her and bubs.

The birthing suites at the women's are huge as well, they have everything you need and a big bath!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Just spoke with RWH and it's not possible to be a public patient and give birth at Frances Perry House.

I am so unsure on which way to go...
    Pros for going Public are cost, emergency facilities, seeing same team of midwifes
    Cons are shorter stay after birth and no private room guaranteed

Private pros, longer stay, private room guaranteed, same OB and personalized care
    Cons. Pricey!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know, it's a hard decision.

Is it possible to do shared care with your Ob and go through the women's. Therefore you are only paying for your ob's fees and not hospital fees etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    I know, it's a hard decision.

Is it possible to do shared care with your Ob and go through the women's. Therefore you are only paying for your ob's fees and not hospital fees etc?
    Hospital fees are all cover by my PHI, so that is not an issue.

I think we will go private. Being our first bub, I can't see myself back home after 2 days without my mum around to help me. She is a breastfeeding consultant (and a baby nurse). I guess I will still be able to Skype her
    It sucks not having family around as you really are on your own. Scary!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does suck not having family around, mine all live in other states and in laws are about 5 hours away. Not as bad as been overseas but definitely know how you feel.

My friend who went through Freemasons was in hospital for one night and was then transferred over to the grand Hyatt for 4 nights, where midwives looked after her. She said it was very nice.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 01-08-2012 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have FINALLY made my mind about my OB and private hospital.

We visited Freemasons and it did not even compare with St Vincent. All in all they are not much different from each other but we found the midwifes much more relaxed and welcoming at St V, so we will go with that.

I feel relieved to have made those important choices. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for this 1st trimester to go nice and quietly :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Helloladies!

I am just wondering if there is anyone who would be interested in having astudent midwife joins you on your special journey? I am looking for pregnantwomen in Adelaide.

My name is Elena and I am student atUNISA studying the Bachelor of Midwifery. I am also a Registered Nurse and a RegisteredMidwife in Israel.

I know howhard this first experience can be, and I also know how fantastic it can be as well!Having a student midwife would make this journey a little less stressful! Youwould have continuity of care, someone who understands you and your pregnancyneeds, and also help to provide what care you would like to receive before, duringand after your birth. In addition, you would be able to learn things about yourbaby and pregnancy that you might not otherwise get to learn!

During your pregnancy, I would join you at 2 antenatal appointments, yourchild's birth and 2 postnatal appointments.

If you decide that having a student midwife is for you then please feel free toask more questions or leave a message!

Please pass this on to friends or family, if you think they might be interestedin having a student midwife too!

My contact number:0452262105

Thank you for reading.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello there ladies! My name is Frances and I am a student midwife at ACU. I would like to quickly share with you some info I have in regards to tapping-in to a (free) extra source of support and consistency throughout your journey.

As part of the Bachelor of Midwifery, all student midwives participate in the Continuity of Care Experience program (CCE). The CCE program is a valuable component of my learning experience, and also an amazing and unique opportunity for parents to access free and ongoing one-to-one support.

Inviting a student midwife to be a part of your journey through pregnancy, and in to early parenthood can be a big decision. However, the benefits of participation for women and their families are well documented. Access to your very own student midwife usually entails:
    • Attending antenatal and postnatal appointments with you and your family.
    • Attending antenatal classes with you, or simply meeting up for a tea and a talk.
    • Birth support is offered, though not compulsory in any way!
    • Your student midwife can research information and services for you. However, she will not provide advice, opinions or judgement…
    As your student midwife, I aim to work with you and your family, to be a familiar face and a consistent presence, and to provide woman-centred care and support.

My role is supported by a mentor midwife, as well as by the university. From my end, there is appropriate documentation and checking in on paperwork, process and experience. Be assured, I am well supervised by a brilliant team.

I have an employment background in disability, youth and children’s services, and have worked providing support to people in different environments for many years. I am professional, relaxed and approachable. I am passionate and motivated, and would love the opportunity be a part of your journey. I am flexible with my availability, and prepared to travel.

If you are between 14 and 35 weeks pregnant and interested in participating, or simply want more information, please contact me at any time.

Frances Hearn (Student Midwife)
    0410 248 429
    fchear001@myacu.edu.au
    Last edited by FrancesHearn; 02-08-2012 at 12:00.