+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pre-natal testing for things like Down syndrome

Hello,
    I havent been on this site for a while but I found it very helpful when I was pregnant. Just scanning through posts over the months since I've been gone I see there are a number of questions regarding amnios, NT scans, risks of abnormalities etc etc. Of course every pregnancy has its risks, and of course we're all as nervous as hell and we want our pregnancy and our baby to be "perfect". But I want you to all reconsider what your definition of "perfect" is.

The first instinct to say to a mother when she reveals a risk is "everything will be fine; good luck with getting clear results; or even, I hope your baby will be normal".

When I was pregnant I had a 1:12 chance of my baby having Down syndrome. An amnio confirmed my baby tested positive. And yes, the bottom fell out of my world and I wanted the tests to be wrong. I wanted "perfect", I wanted "normal". And you know what, that's exactly what I got!!!

Yes she has Down syndrome but she is "perfect", she is my "perfect".

What I'm trying to say that a diagnosis of Down syndrome is not the end of the world, it's just a different one than you expect. But its no less amazing, gratifying and rewarding. Every achievement is a big deal and a blessing.

And one of the best parts of having a child with Down syndrome is the new 'family' that you become a part of.

So if you are in this position, and don't know what to do or where to turn, there is help available, there are people that have been there before and would love more than anything to help you (whatever you're own personal decision may be and not everyone makes the same one). So yes it's scary, actually no - it's terrifying - but you're not alone. Please ask and we'll come to you.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChangedMyMind For This Useful Post:

allforthem  (31-07-2012),bokkie_wotwot  (01-08-2012),lightsaber  (31-07-2012),Marga  (01-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (31-07-2012),mousky  (31-07-2012),Tanzanite  (31-07-2012),Zanne  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to say I completely agree, and congratulations on your perfect child

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Beautifully written!! Congrats on your little girl.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for you lovely post and congrats on your little girl .

It is for the reasons you said OP that we decided not to test for DS with DD or this bubs. We decided that whatever we get will be perfect no matter what. I know that if either DD was to be born with DS, it would shatter our world in the beginning, but it was something we decided we would cope with as long as she was ok.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What you say is true. We tested for Downs syndrome. But you know $600 later, It hit me in the head after seeing the 12 week nuchal scan. I wouldn't ever not want this baby no matter what may or may not be wrong with it. Im glad you shared this thank you. xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tanzanite For This Useful Post:

Squishy115  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations!

Couldn't agree with you more. I work in disability and believe me Down Syndrome is by far one of the least devistating disabilities out there. I work with adults who have profound complex disabilities and complex medical needs so I know just how devistating it can get