+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also just returned to work after almost 5 years off. DS1 is in grade 1 and DS2 is in kinder. I have to say, contrary to popular belief I think its harder once the kids are at school. The amount of extra time you have to put in after school to help them with reading, other homework, and the ongoing pressure for playdates means that after school care is a difficult option. Throw into that, DS2 needs some speech therapy help with a stutter and there's a lot to do!! I only work 2 days per week in a stressful corporate job. DP works in a stressful corporate job too. We've been doing this juggle for only 4 months and I'm not sure how we're going to pull it off. DS2 starts school next year as well which should make things a little easier - other than having to help him with reading, writing etc etc etc. Don't even ask how we will manage school holidays! There's only so much I can ask my mother to do! I'm currently burrying my head in the sand!

Best of luck to you. If I find any miraculous solutions to all this I will let you know!! x

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I am not at all stressed, in fact I think I have a perfect balance. I work 3 days a week 8.30-4. My child care is a 5 minute walk from my house, my workplace a 5 minute walk past the childcare. If i had to do an hour commute and work 9-5.30 I would be stressed beyond belief. We won't compromise on living close to work (DP rides to work and it takes him less than 10 minutes, so he drops DS at care at 9, and is home before 6) so we have compromised on other things like a nice house, a back yard, lots of disposable income, etc. I guess it's really about finding the balance that works for you and your family, really. We were lucky that the balance for us was quite clear, but that's not the case for everyone. For you is it more about the money, or more about doing something out of the home? Is it worth looking outside the box at volunteer or work at home positions, or something else in your local community you may not have thought of before?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To make things easier in the morning I prepare the night before:

•Dd1's lunch and uniform
    •Dd2's daycare bag
    •My outfit

In the morning they get dressed as soon as they wake up and while they eat breakfast I get dressed to drop them off. At the moment I work half days and start at 12pm so I have a shower and dress for work later. In the mornings I tidy up and prepare dinner.

Dd1 (nearly 6) goes to ASC 3 times a week and loves it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being super organized makes things less stressful.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Some days are better than others for me. My biggest struggle is the morning. I hate getting out of bed, and then when I do I feel super rushed. I try to do as much as I can the night before, but my daughter is 2 and some days, she chucks a tantrum over everything which draws every little task out.

I work 4 days (around 30-35 hours), my partner leaves for work before we get up but is the one who finishes early. So while I juggle the morning routine, it's his job to juggle the afternoon/evening.

I was super stressed in the beginning, but it got better over time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have 2 kids and work 4-5 days a week.
    Monday's we are up at 6-6:30 and out the door at 7am my 7 year old goes to before school care at my sons daycare s that's easy, I have a up and go in the car, we are home at 5:30 and dinner is either slow cooker, take away or quick and easy.
    Tues, weds, thurs we leave at 8:50 I drop my daughter at school son at daycare and head to work. We are home at 4.
    When I work on weekends I have a babysitter who I pick up 3hours away I work all night and take her home in the morning.

I can be stressed when the kids get suck as I have no one to look after them.

Sunday nights I prep the slow cooker and put it in the fridge then all I have to do Monday is pull it out and turn it on, I also pack my daughters lunch.
    Last edited by ~BEXTER~; 03-09-2012 at 14:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The first thing to accept is that your priorities change - thing that once really really mattered - like the green towels get put away with the green hand towel and foot mat doenst matter as much as just having clean towels now matters.

Grow thick skin - you will now get a whole stack of judgement from people, some of whom you once thought of as being friends will be the worst. Your nex best friend is someone who offers to collect your kids on the one night per year you have to attend the AGM

Be organised - like a weekly menu, using a slow cooker and having everything packed for tomorrow tonight.

Double up on essentials - when you can afford to do so make sure every has at least say 10 pairs of knickers/jocks - that way if the washing doesn't get done you still got clean clothes. Also always have long life milk in the cupboard.

Yes, you get stressed, but letting go of unrealistic expectations, making the small minutes count and knowing the bills aren't all red letter ones helps to make it workable.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    That is fantasic advice Workingclassmum!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How do you juggle work with kids?? Are you stressed??

I've been toying with the idea of going back to work, but wondering how you handle after school activities? My Dd's both dance and Ds karate and swimming and one of them always has something on after school. I just can't see it working.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm due to go back next year and I'm nervous about bring extra stressed! Fearless leader, I sent you a work related pm