+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How do you juggle work with kids?? Are you stressed??

I've not worked in a long time, 5+ years. Now my eldest is in school and youngest ready for preschool we could do with the extra cash and I need to use my brain again! But how do you working mums fit work in?? There is no work locally here so I'd be looking at an 1hr or more commute each way. Within school hours that gives me 4 hours a day with no margin for error! I'm not sure my 5 year old would be too good about oosh but I guess that must be what you do?? otherwise I'd have to put my youngest in daycare 5 days a week, pay full days and I think most of my pay would go into childcare.
    I'm just curious about the logistics of it! I know a few working mums and they are super stressed most of the time, except those that have family that can help. And all seem to get help from their husbands with school/daycare, but mine will not be able to leave work early or start late.
    Any working mums not super stressed?? What's your secret??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My kids come to work with me everyday so this is me --->

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I remember another thread where a member mentioned a study that concluded working mums are generally the happiest mums. I prefer working to being a SAHM - but only because I have one child and was bored out of my mind at home. There is nothing for me to do at home.

With more children, I don't know. Depends on your personality, how much you like your job, how organised you are. I hated working when I paid child care because I felt completely undervalued because I worked so many hours for very, very little financial compensation.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not super stressed..

But only because I'm too busy to think about it

We manage by packing everything (including laying out clothes) the night before. That way in the morning it is literally:
    *I get up, shower, eat, make DDs breakfast.
    *DD up, straight to table.
    *I do make up while DD eats.
    *DD nappy change & dressed.
    *DD + our bags in the car & we go.

Weighing up cost of care & work is a big thing for us.

thankfully 2 hours of work covers DDs care for the day, so as long as I work more then 2 hours (& preferably 6) it works well for us.

I also study of at night.

I guess it also depends what you want to get put of it? I'm trying to build a career so yes it does get hectic & I have to prioritize. But one day it will all be worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There has been a couple of threads recently that I have been similiar, I was super stressed to begin with! And some days it does get a bit nuts and I feel like a little ducky floundering but those days are minimal now.

A couple of things we/I do (very similiar to sudgestionator)
    *Be super organised. Daycare bag is sitting ready at the door before I go to bed so all I have to do is pop his milk in and pick it up.
    *I get ready whilst DS eats breakfast, Yeah, my living room generally gets trashed but its a small price to pay! Oh and I generally try and do my hair the night before (straighen) so it just needs a quick once over.
    *I do actually hang my clothes on the back of my bedroom door ready for the morning. If I didnt I'd spend 20mins trying to work out what I want to wear.
    *I have breakfast when I get to work (lol, I know, this isnt ideal!)
    *I am strict with myself, I leave work exactly when I need to. I could stay and finish one more thing, then one more thing and it would be easy to stay back an extra 10-20-30mins.
    *DH & I do a quick clean each night, so atleast I feel lke the house *looks* clean
    *Be organised with meals - a dinner meal plan is great. Means you can look the night before and get the meat out ready to defrost or prepare some veg etc.

And finally, I have learnt to not be so hard on myself, so sometimes my house is a mess, and the ironing basket spewing out the laundry but just giving myself some time to watch the voice whilst eating icecream is needed.

I should say our circumstances are a little different, I work FT and DS is only 2. When DS goes to school I will probably utilise after school care, but will jiggle my hours around so maybe its only 3 days a week rather than 5...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Uh-Oh For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're very similar to Uh-Oh. Both work FT, but DD is only 2 so goes to daycare for now. When she starts school, we'll have to put her in before & after school care.

At first I found it super stressful to be back at work and really struggled with it. But we've now got a good routine going and as long as I'm organised, I'm generally always on time. This will change again with #2, but we'll just have to tweak it a little.

I find working out what to have for dinner the night before is much easier than working it out on the day as I'm home at 5pm and we have dinner by 6pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I work full time and have two little kids. My life looks a lot like Uh-ohs.

Some days I am stressed. Me time does not exist. My mornings suck cause I am pushing the kids to hurry up every day. (nobody should take an hour to eat a slice of toast.....)

You HAVE to be super organised. Everything laid out the night before. Dinner decided the night before.

On the plus side - I have a cleaner and an ironing lady - I wouldnt get to spend any time with my children on the weekend if we didnt. DH isnt much help. This means our "free time" on the weekends the kids can go to things - swimming and karate etc. Sunday is our "down" day and we try to just spend time as a family at home.

On the plus plus side - my extra money means we dont worry financially and can take our kids on great overseas holidays etc every year....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I posted a thread about balancing work/bub earlier today! It's hard! My issue is more around managing expectations (mine and my workplace's). That's what I find stressful - its almost impossible to do both at maximum capacity!

As far as managing day-to-day stuff, we're similar to the above so we:

- have a cleaner once a fortnight
    - pack daycare bag the night before
    - one of us gets DD up and dressed and starts making her breakfast while the other gets showered and dressed for work, then swap
    - batch cook so there are easy meals in the freezer on busy days
    - lay out clothes the night before
    - eat breakfast at work

Basically just try to be as efficient as possible. It helps that I only work 3 days a week but I do commute a fair way. I have to leave home no later than 7am to get DD to daycare, then get myself to the train station, catch the train and just make it to the office at 9am.
    Last edited by Cue; 31-07-2012 at 16:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see Mummies everywhere eating their weetbix at their desks....... my collegues at work just dont get that I dont have time in the mornings!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Breakfast muffins or wraps are great to eat on the go ie the car/walk/bus etc. I make oatmeal ones that lived individually in ziplock bags in the freezer just heat and go.

Also banana bread freezes easily - also good for fussy hubbys and kids in those rushed mornings