+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Need help with the name of a condition

Hi,

The teachers at my nephews school have told his mum to she needs to take him to the DR to have him and his eyes tested as they think he may have a condition, the name of which I can't remember.
    It's one of the conditions where it helps him to write or read from yellow paper or with a yellow overlay. He also squints a lot when trying to read etc. I thought mayber Irlen syndrome but MIL said she thought it started with an 'm'.

I need to know to find out some information for her online so she knows what to ask about.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some forms of Dyslexia can be helped if the child reads from yellow paper...and some kids with dyslexia benefit from wearing Irlen lenses in their glasses.
    I don't really know much...that's basically it but it ties in with what you are talking about. Hopefully someone will be along soon with some more info.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Irlen's Sydrome

Hi,

The syndrome you are asking about is called Irlen's Syndrome, it is normally diagnosed via a behavioral optician with a colour test, coss approx $80.

There are 10 main colours which are tested and if diagnosed, the option is coloured lenses or the use of a coloured overlay or bookmark.

When a new student comes to me for tutoring because of a learning difficulty at school, we always start with a quick test with the coloured bookmarks.

Its not an approved method, but if it appears to be worthwhile, we always recommend they visit an optometrist.

Best of luck