+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Low Muscle Tone Symptoms?

Hi ladies,

I hope I've posted this in the right area.

I'm just wondering if someone could provide me with some information regarding low muscle tone.

I've looked online but I'd like to hear personal experiences (if you're comfortable in sharing).

I have a 3yo DD and a 4mo DD and I think my eldest was quite strong from birth and I shouldn't compare but its so hard not to! My 4mo is quite active, loves to kick her legs and wave her arms about. She can grasp an object and she can hold her head up when on her tummy but she can't do a mini push up with arms extended. She can roll onto her back from her tummy but not every time. She can bear weight on her legs too but not for a long time.

I guess what concerns me a little is sometimes when I hold her she feels like she's slipping a bit from under her arms and her head can dangle down when held upright for a while. I mentioned this to the health nurse and she put her on her belly and saw her push her head up and said there was no problem.

I guess when I read back it probably seems okay but I'm just not used to a baby who can't control her head all the time!

I was just wondering if your child has low muscle tone and if so how was it picked up. Could they do some things like push up from belly but not others like bear weight on legs or hold their head up properly?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi. Seriously I would not be worrying at all just yet. She is only 4mths old and all children develop differently. I would raise it with your child health nurse and get her opinion and reassurance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My nephew wouldnt bare weight on his legs long, mchn said to put him in a jolly jumper 10/15 minutes a day

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Both of my sons have low muscle tone. They werent too bad when sitting upright with their head cntrol, but i have always given them plenty of support.

Tummy time however would not work, they would be face down and crying, able to lift head for a few seconds then back down this was even when they were 6 months.

We were recommended to put them in a walker from about 6 months onwards to help with their legs, which we did and it helped tremendously. They still struggle with upper body strength, they cant ride bikes, ds#1 has poor muscle tone in his jaw so cant chew red meat etc.

I think at four months your baby is doing well, if health professionals have said she is fine, then i would at this stage believe them and wait it out.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    at 4 months old i wouldnt worry at all, My daughter has hypotonia ( low muscle tone ) and was not able to roll until 10 months old. still now at 6.5 years even though can walk a bitshe still has head lag when we try pull her up from laying to sitting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for taking the time to reply ladies, I tend to be a bit of worry wart so I'll try not to stress and just wait it out and see how she goes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD has it and we had it diagnosed by a paediatric physio and new she was going to be delayed with her sitting crawling walking ect, she did not put any wait on her feet till she was 11 months old, bum scooted at 12months and walked at 17 months. Our childhood nurse did pick up on it at a check but we were already seeing our physio and she said if we were not already seeing him she would off recommend us seeing a pead physio as its there area . She still has fairly floppy limbs but getting better. I would see a pead physio rather then a childhood nurse about it as this is what a physio is trained for. We still see ours now even though DD is walking just to keep an eye on her development.
    Last edited by millsmum; 01-08-2012 at 10:13.