+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Recent Experiences at Ipswich Hospital

Hello,

I have just found out that i wont be admitted to Mater Public as I am out of their catchment area. I have PHI but we have spend so much on IVF that going private and spending another fortune on OB/GYN is just impossible.

So my only option is Ipswich Public Hospital. Could anyone please share their experience (good or bad ) at Ipswich Hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had DS in Jan 2011 at Ipswich Hospital. I had a wonderful uncomplicated drug-free birth. I was part of the Midwifery Group Practice and only had my primary midwife at the birth, so I didn't really have anything to do with any other hospital staff. We were home 4 hours after the birth and gots lots of support at home from our midwife. The only thing they didn't do was provide a meal for DH (I got breakfast), but he just wanted a nap in the chair after it was all over anyway!

Good luck

ETA: there was a similar thread started a few weeks ago if you want to have a read: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...qld-due-in-dec
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 31-07-2012 at 11:46.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Dancing Queen  (31-07-2012)

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't touch Ipswich public with a 10 foot pole after my recent experience with their maternity department.

Dr Katie Taylor is a private ob at st Andrews with very very low fees. I went through her for an emergency d&c after the public left me for over two weeks to miscarry and I was out of pocket nothing at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to StretchmarkBarbie For This Useful Post:

Dancing Queen  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by decemberbubba View Post
    I had DS in Jan 2011 at Ipswich Hospital. I had a wonderful uncomplicated drug-free birth. I was part of the Midwifery Group Practice and only had my primary midwife at the birth, so I didn't really have anything to do with any other hospital staff. We were home 4 hours after the birth and gots lots of support at home from our midwife. The only thing they didn't do was provide a meal for DH (I got breakfast), but he just wanted a nap in the chair after it was all over anyway!

Good luck

ETA: there was a similar thread started a few weeks ago if you want to have a read: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...qld-due-in-dec
    hey December bubba thanks for replying. do the midwives come home after the bub is born like they do in Mater?

This is my first and so i am confused what to do. I know i will need loads of help after my baby is born too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry for your loss Stretchmarkbarbie. I wish you great US holidays.

Thats for the feedback I will call up Dr Katie Taylor tomorrow for her fees and schedule. I am concerned about Pregnancy Management Fees as I have read they are anywhere in between 2000-3000

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Queen View Post

Thats for the feedback I will call up Dr Katie Taylor tomorrow for her fees and schedule. I am concerned about Pregnancy Management Fees as I have read they are anywhere in between 2000-3000
    Try dr Nikki Whelan at the wesley. She doesn't charge a pregnancy management fee. I absolutely loved the Wesley and Nikki. She treated me so well when I developed a kidney infection at 20 weeks and helped me have a wonderful drugfree birth at 39 weeks with spontaneous labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Had DD there in March. Ended up with an emergency c section.

I simply cannot fault one thing about my experience there at all!!!

Every single staff member (male/female, dr, nurse etc) made me feel incredibly comfortable and safe and kept me in the loop of everything that was happening the whole time.

For something (c section) that I was absolutely terrified of getting I am so glad I can look back and say it was a great experience.

Their antenatal classes were also wonderful and the post midwife visits were fantastic also.

I would recommend it to anyone!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had DS in Ipswich in March 2010.

The midwives where very great. My labour was not short and easy and ended up in an emergency c section. I do believe that they could have done more with inducing me, and they maybe should have checked sometime in the 13 hours that I was dilating ( I hadn't dilated at all after 13 hours on .

Surgeons, anethesiest (sp?) pead and after care, couldn't complain. You always get a few grumpy nurses.

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews

I think hers was $750

Thanks
    Reviews
    hey December bubba thanks for replying. do the midwives come home after the bub is born like they do in Mater?

This is my first and so i am confused what to do. I know i will need loads of help after my baby is born too.
    Yes, the midwives visited at home after the birth. We were home about 10.30am the day he was born, our middy visited about 4pm and then we had visits each day after that for about 3 or 4 days - to weigh, check hearing and help with feeding etc. We were also encouraged to call anytime we needed to and they could make more visits if need be. This was through the group practice program though, I don't know if it is the same through the general hospital system.

Just on a side note - one of the middies that were part of the group practice have setup a private midwife program called 'my midwives' (you can google for website). They charge fees for each prenatal visit etc but you get a big portion back from medicare I think. They then attend your birth at the hospital and give you post birth care - the benefit being you get to know the people that will be at your birth, as a pose to turning up to the hospital in labour and just getting whatever staff that are rostered on at the time. I'll probably be choosing this option with next bub, as the group practice program has very limited spaces and is fairly hard to get into.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 01-08-2012 at 08:13.