+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default SPINOFF.........how much do you pay for your child's outside school activities???

My DD is only 4 months, but another thread got me thinking about how expensive outside school activities are these days. When I was younger my sister and I could choose 2 each a year to participate and we weren't an overly "well off" family, but it seemed to be so much more affordable.
    I loved the fact we got to try so many interests and would love that for DD,but the fact is its so much money and we would love more bubbies to join our family one day and would love to be able to support their interests!
    Please share wheather it's sport, instruments, arts etc .......

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter does netball in the 'winter season' which is $5 per week there is a registration fee and uniform at the start of the season though. Probably around $100 and then little athletics in the 'summer season' which is $150 for the season and $40 for the shirt. Then obviously bike shorts and runners on top. All worth it in the end though. They need the group interaction for their confidence levels as kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Some things are more $$$ than others. Little Athletics is $130 for 2 terms, gymnastics is $118/term, swimming is $190/term at squad level, including private stroke correction and training twice a day, pool entry is included in that. Dancing has a $400 start up cost then $200/term. AFL is $55 for the term. Nippers I have not got prices for yet. PCYC run activities for as low as $5/week with annual membership on top of that.

We have not done all of the above, just got prices. She wants to dance, but lacks the skills needed, I lack the money, and my child is likely to lose interest by week 3 so I can't justify the cost at all.

Oh, other than sport, music is $200/term with private lessons for 1/2 hour per week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I defiantly agree lou89 it's great for there confidence and team interaction away from school.
    Wow share a book, you have done your homework!
    I have had many clients over the years tell me how much they pay and just couldn't believe it. I remember dancing and it was 1 night a week probably no more than $20-$30 and a few concerts a year that had to pay for costume. Now it's all so competitive too,now it's troops and estedfords and rep levels!! all these young kids have to "try out" for many sports now,and it's 2 - 3 nights training with comps on the weekend, driving hours away to participate.
    That's travel is all costly too, at the end of the day it's just hard I'm sure no parent wants their child to "miss out" on these life experiences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do realize alot has to do with insurance liability etc etc... But still.....!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have tried so many things with my 11 yr old. he says he wants to do something eg basketball, then goes once or twice and doesn't want to go back... so i've tried him in soooo many things to try and get him interested in something - swimming, basketball, rugby, afl, soccer, little athletics, boyscouts, piano lessons... so some things i only had to pay for the few classes we went to and others i had to join him up before he could go, or i joined him up because he said he wanted to keep going and then a week or 2 later he lost interest... so needless to say i've spent sooooo much money on these activities!!! however, we've finally settled on hip hop classes, which has an annual admin fee and $10 per week plus uniforms, and art lessons which are $25 per week. he loves both of them so even though they are expensive, after all the money i've spent trying to get him interested in something, i'm glad he's now found an activity he's happy with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My daughter is 4, and isn't at school yet, but her swimming is $150 a term.

She does a 1.5hr dance/gymnastics class once a week, which is $12 a week. You only pay the weeks you attend. So far my daughter has been every week for 4 weeks, but I'm reluctant to spend ridiculous money on dance clothes/shoes in case she loses interest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The only dance lessons I could find for kids were the strict competitive type. The only fun social type I found are the adult ones. It is wrong, takes away the option for all thekids who just want to dance for fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Not much at the moment DDs only 3.

Bowling- $6.60 a week

Playgroup 1- $25 annual+ $5 a week
    Playgroup 2- $2 a week

I want to try and get her into dance and soccer soon

Oh and swimming lessons this coming summer will be about $250.
    Last edited by waterlily; 31-07-2012 at 05:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah swimming is a big one that I really want her to do.
    We love the beach and would love for her to be confidant in the water