+ Reply to Thread

Default New to BF/Nipple shield help?

So, just when I think I'm getting a handle on this whole breastfeeding thing, I feel like we've just gone 10 steps backwards.

I need to use a nipple shield because I have flat nipples. It's been going reasonably well (bar the cracked and sore nipples from early attachment problems), but last night the wheels totally fell off.

For some reason now when I put him on my breast the shield kind of puckers inwards (like in the attached picture).

I don't know what is causing this? I thought it was an attachment problem but even when he's not on my breast I can see now the shield slightly curves inwards around the nipple?

I also have not had this problem at all until last night, and now it happens every time I put him on.

Is the shield worn maybe?

All the trouble I'm having I'm about to give up!

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attached Images

I agree that it doesnt look quite right. Hugs. Breastfeeding can be hard work!

Maybe it's flipped inside out? That is the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.

Just letting you know that the Aust Breastfeeding Assosciation has a helpline (1800686268) that you can call anytime 24/7. I find them to be really helpful and they might be able to give you some suggestions.

Sorry cant help with what's going on with that nipple shield but just wanted to say hang in there as I also had to use a nipple shield in the beginning but I eventually got my son to attach by using the shield at the start of the feed and the when my breast was not so full and the nipple had been sucked outward I would take the shield off and try and re-attach straight to the breast. This worked from about 8 weeks old when my milk settled and my next two babies went straight to the breast.
    Last edited by Lovejoypeace; 30-07-2012 at 23:30.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovejoypeace For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (31-07-2012)