+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Question **SPINOFF** did you get unexpected reactions from parents/family/friends?

Another thread made me think about the reactions I have had from my parents and family when telling them I was pregnant. It was a mixture of happiness, disappointment and spitefulness.

Did you get a reaction from your parents, family and/or friends that you didn't expect? Ie: were they happy, when you thought they were going to disown you and/or vice versa?

I'm pretty sure my father was a little disappointed. Maybe not disappointed either, perhaps shocked. I expected this from him.
    Mum was in heaven when I first told her I was pregnant. I expected this from her. Even though at that moment in time, I hadn't made up my mind whether or not to continue the pregnancy. Mum has since admitted that she never thought she'd ever have a grandchild.

When FOB became violent and we broke up, my father surprisingly showed a caring side that I had never seen in my entire life before. He made a 180 degree turn.
    Mum was in Europe for 5 weeks and arrived there on the day that FOB and I "broke up".
    That night I was in hospital miscarrying a twin all by myself. I was 450km away from home and away from my parents house as well. I was crying my eyes out and a total emotional mess.
    My father jumped in the car and drove 5 hours straight to be there for me.
    The next day we drove back and I had to go to our local hospital for another U/S and dad went along.
    33 Years ago, there were no U/S images before 7 months. So when he saw this tiny little being (I was 9 weeks) he just went quiet and I swear I could see him quickly rub his eyes lol.
    Never thought my dad could be such a sook!

DS is 2,5yo now and the first 2 years have been full of ups and downs for dad. My father can't stand noise and loud sounds, so DS was walking on eggshells for a while.
    However, a few weeks back dad said to me that, yes DS has his problems, but he's a good and happy kid. I couldn't have been more blessed.

It is amazing how a little human being can turn the toughest men into big softies lol!!!

P.S. I never told my sister the news. She just found out via the grape vine. Her reaction was as I expected. She demanded my parents to push me for an abortion. Too bad they had no interest in doing this.
    Last edited by Misschief; 30-07-2012 at 20:40. Reason: Forgot something, doh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes.

My dad Surprised the hell out of me he was so happy i thought he was going to jump though the roof with joy then when he found out it was a boy he was even more hapy i thought dad was going to to kill dp (from being angry or shocked or upset but nope) it was such a nice surprise.

My mum went silent i wasn't sure about her.

My sister was confused lol- I told her (by phone as she lives a couple hrs away) she was about to become an aunty and she was like WHAT???? she caught on about 5 mins later lol.

MY FIL gave us death stares and didn't talk to us for 2 wks.
    MiL- was thrilled but unhappy because she lost her bet to her friend (they were out to dinner and we met them there MIL's friend said i was pregnant MIl said we were engaged lol Over the phone we just said we got some exciting new to tell you.)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm pretty lucky, everyone has been thrilled for us We've been trying for ages and have been married and settled down for a fair while too, so it was more expected the not

Thanks
    Reviews
    My family knew we'd been trying for a few months and when we were all together for diner we told them, no one said a thing, so heartbreaking.
    Ive told them how much it hurt at the time and they say yes but we love them to death now!
    All because DH had just started a new business at the time ;(

Thanks
    Reviews
    I remember my mother's reaction, it was gold.

"You're too old to be having kids. Get your tubes tied."

(I was 37).

Ah, family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    I remember my mother's reaction, it was gold.

"You're too old to be having kids. Get your tubes tied."

(I was 37).

Ah, family.
    Sorry but that made me LOL! Good on them! We can't win, can we? We're either too young or too old these days

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My brother (who is the most important person to me aside from DS) said straight away "well, you're not keeping it are you?". I wasnt insulted (I was 19) but it did shock me a bit.

My dad was told very very very last....I thought he would flip out. He took the news the best and said "I dont know what to say, but I know that Im happy"

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sil whom left it too late herself to have kids hasn't spoken to us since we announced we were expecting ds1 nearly 6yrs ago now.

We were a little disapointed that when we announced we were expecting a second child that it didn't seem as important as our first pregnancy. And even now ds2 isn't as spoilt by hamily as ds1 was which bugs me somewhat.

And now we are trying for baby number 3 and there appears to be even less excitement in the dh's family. One would think considering our children are ivf there would be more compassion and excitement. And also the fact our boys are the only grandchildren in the family!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's funny how we think we know our closest family and friends, but then find that they can give us some very (un)welcome surprises at times.....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't have thought it was a huge surprise given I was 30 and married a couple of years at the time. I can't recall my mothers exact words anymore, but I remember being in stunned silence at her reaction (although in retrospect when I called to tell her I was engaged after dating DH for 6 years her response was "what do you want to go and do that for?")!

I was too shocked to continue the conversation so I asked her to tell my youngest sister (who was still living at home) and said bye. A week later I discovered she hadn't told my sister, that made me sad

Everyone else was really happy for us

Tomorrow is our 12 week scan for #2 bub. Last time I made a point of telling my mum first (mistakenly thinking that would be something special for her), this time she'll be last!