+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    * who pays the daycare fees? If CCB does then the woman herself isn't contributing. Anyway paying daycare fees doesn't have the same economic effect as working and paying taxes.
    * there's a whole other thread I created a while back on SAHMs and daycare. I don't want to repeat a whole thread but basically 1-2 days off if you pay for it yourself good on you. Or if you have medical issues/ pre-school aged child and can't get a preschool spot then using daycare with government help is understandable.
    * I just think spending excessive time studying something you know you aren't going to use/work in is selfish and indulgent.
    * it sounds like there are other issues with your friend. Have you asked her for details/if she needs a hand? Perhaps the baby only wakes once but it's for 3 hours. Perhaps your friend has pnd?
    * CCB doesn't pay the whole daycare fee. People still need to cough up half of it out of their own pocket. I did say that they contribute to the economy, just not the way you'd expect them to do. Just a less direct way.

*Putting DS in daycare was partially for my own "selfishness" and partially because I was told by professionals that it will help with his developmental delays. I am a sole parent, so I have DS 24/7 365 days a year. In those 2 days I get to help the community by volunteering, I get to do my shopping and other errands and I get to do my sewing which is a hobby that makes me a few bucks here and there and helps me relax as well. I do, ofcourse, declare this income to Centerlink and when doing my tax return.

* No my friend doesn't have PND. She's always been a terrible morning person and just hates having to get out of bed at 7am. It means she would have to go to bed before midnight. Not something she is willing to give up.
    She's been formula feeding from the start as she wants her husband to feed the bub at night for 4 days a week and she does the other 3.
    She said she simply can not function without a full night sleep. She needs a minimum of 9 hours of interrupted sleep, or she can't "lift a finger" all day.
    I, and many other friends, have offered her to help her out and babysit bubs for an hour or 2 so she can have a nap, but she said she needs more than a 2 hour nap.
    Oh well, some people have problems letting go of their old "party all night" life. She's very lucky that her husband is willing to get up and feed bubs 4 nights a week as he has a 10 hour a day job and travels 1 hour to get to work and back again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I am so old they didn't have toys at Maccas when I was a kid
    Hehe, we didn't either until I was 8yo. I remember the day they finished building a Maccas down the road from us. It was the first in the country that had a drive thru. The only reason it was built, was because there was a large US run air-force base nearby.
    I was begging mum to get a burger and mum said "Yes hun, we will go soon". Dad said: "Over my dead body you willl!!! You will NOT set foot in MacDonalds for as long as you live in MY house!"
    And that was that. I walked past that Maccas every day on my way to the busstop, but I didn't set foot in it until I was 16 and had my first paid job delivering newspapers in the early morning before school time.
    I never got pocket money as a kid, so I could never afford to buy something there without my parents knowing :-\

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    * CCB doesn't pay the whole daycare fee. People still need to cough up half of it out of their own pocket. I did say that they contribute to the economy, just not the way you'd expect them to do. Just a less direct way.

*Putting DS in daycare was partially for my own "selfishness" and partially because I was told by professionals that it will help with his developmental delays. I am a sole parent, so I have DS 24/7 365 days a year. In those 2 days I get to help the community by volunteering, I get to do my shopping and other errands and I get to do my sewing which is a hobby that makes me a few bucks here and there and helps me relax as well. I do, ofcourse, declare this income to Centerlink and when doing my tax return.

* No my friend doesn't have PND. She's always been a terrible morning person and just hates having to get out of bed at 7am. It means she would have to go to bed before midnight. Not something she is willing to give up.
    She's been formula feeding from the start as she wants her husband to feed the bub at night for 4 days a week and she does the other 3.
    She said she simply can not function without a full night sleep. She needs a minimum of 9 hours of interrupted sleep, or she can't "lift a finger" all day.
    I, and many other friends, have offered her to help her out and babysit bubs for an hour or 2 so she can have a nap, but she said she needs more than a 2 hour nap.
    Oh well, some people have problems letting go of their old "party all night" life. She's very lucky that her husband is willing to get up and feed bubs 4 nights a week as he has a 10 hour a day job and travels 1 hour to get to work and back again.
    Sounds like dycare is good for you and bubba and you make good use of your time off. Did it help with the developmental delays? I'm hearing from a lot of folks that it does.

Wtf did your friend think having a bubba would be like?? Sounds like her hubby needs to find his balls!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    * who pays the daycare fees? If CCB does then the woman herself isn't contributing. Anyway paying daycare fees doesn't have the same economic effect as working and paying taxes.
    * there's a whole other thread I created a while back on SAHMs and daycare. I don't want to repeat a whole thread but basically 1-2 days off if you pay for it yourself good on you. Or if you have medical issues/ pre-school aged child and can't get a preschool spot then using daycare with government help is understandable.
    * I just think spending excessive time studying something you know you aren't going to use/work in is selfish and indulgent.
    * it sounds like there are other issues with your friend. Have you asked her for details/if she needs a hand? Perhaps the baby only wakes once but it's for 3 hours. Perhaps your friend has pnd?
    DS has been doing very well since he started at a center in December last year. Before that he was in family daycare and in 10 months, he had 3 carers quitting on him. Hence me going to a center to get something more reliable.
    The last 2 carers just put him in front of the TV with a Wiggles DVD on. His first carer tried to make him sleep all day (he was 14 months old at the time).
    There were no kids of the same age at the family daycares either. All younger or older. This made it hard for him to copy age appropriate behaviour.

He's now in a toddler room with all kids being between 2 and 3 years old and he is doing sooooo much better now. Especially since we got approved for extra funding to have a 1 on 1 carer for 5 hours each day DS is in care.
    He is still globally delayed between 6-10 months and has Sensory Processing Disorder, but we're with Early Childhood Intervention right now and they're helping him in any way they can, too.
    His delays used to be over 12 months though, so he's definitely catching up a bit.

My friend probably wont be my friend for much longer. She doesn't want me to watch her son while she has a nap, but she does want me to come in and help her clean the house when he is in daycare.
    She thinks he's scared of the vacuum cleaner, so it's best to clean the house while he's not there. Ehmmmmm, I told her I had no intention to clean her house with or without her DS being there. She can do this herself as she'll have plenty of time to do so.
    Not to mention that her husband has a well paying job, so she can hire someone to clean if she needed to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    DS has been doing very well since he started at a center in December last year. Before that he was in family daycare and in 10 months, he had 3 carers quitting on him. Hence me going to a center to get something more reliable.
    The last 2 carers just put him in front of the TV with a Wiggles DVD on. His first carer tried to make him sleep all day (he was 14 months old at the time).
    There were no kids of the same age at the family daycares either. All younger or older. This made it hard for him to copy age appropriate behaviour.

He's now in a toddler room with all kids being between 2 and 3 years old and he is doing sooooo much better now. Especially since we got approved for extra funding to have a 1 on 1 carer for 5 hours each day DS is in care.
    He is still globally delayed between 6-10 months and has Sensory Processing Disorder, but we're with Early Childhood Intervention right now and they're helping him in any way they can, too.
    His delays used to be over 12 months though, so he's definitely catching up a bit.

My friend probably wont be my friend for much longer. She doesn't want me to watch her son while she has a nap, but she does want me to come in and help her clean the house when he is in daycare.
    She thinks he's scared of the vacuum cleaner, so it's best to clean the house while he's not there. Ehmmmmm, I told her I had no intention to clean her house with or without her DS being there. She can do this herself as she'll have plenty of time to do so.
    Not to mention that her husband has a well paying job, so she can hire someone to clean if she needed to.
    Good to hear your DS is doing well.

Gee your 'friend' has a hide.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I left my stable, part time job because I was miserable and took on a 12 month contract full time with probably no opportunity to continue after the 12 months.

DD has less time with me, I may be unemployed in 6 months, but I am personally happier and more fulfilled on a day to day basis.

Selfish?
    Not selfish. My DH left his stable well paid job because he was unhappy and was unemployed for 2 months. He now has a new job that pays $30000 a year less than the old one but is much happier for it.