+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i am definately selfish.
    i have studied horticulture purely for enjoyment, am putting my 9mo in daycare next tuesday to have a girls day massage, even having our first night away from them in a month for my sil's 40th birthday.
    i'll happily admit i'm selfish in that context and there are people out there who think it is.

selfish also comes with personal boundaries though - i would never go out drinking and not be able to afford formula or nappies. unfortunately for whatever reason some parents do think this is okay.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    i am definately selfish.
    i have studied horticulture purely for enjoyment, am putting my 9mo in daycare next tuesday to have a girls day massage, even having our first night away from them in a month for my sil's 40th birthday.
    i'll happily admit i'm selfish in that context and there are people out there who think it is.

selfish also comes with personal boundaries though - i would never go out drinking and not be able to afford formula or nappies. unfortunately for whatever reason some parents do think this is okay.
    I don't see this as a detriment to your child though?? one day to have a girly day for you while your child has professional carers? nope I don't say that's selfish. Your second paragraph though, I do consider that selfish. You say you wouldn't do that, so I think you are just a normal mum that's not a martyr

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (31-07-2012),halloweendee  (31-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Agreed delirium. Not selfish, but human. And fun

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    absolutely 100% human!!!
    i always saw my mom take time for herself and she always said that when you are in a relationship with someone (whether it be hubby, son, daughter, friend) you create 3 relationships.
    the one you share together,
    theirs
    and yours.
    all 3 need to be nurtured for it to work

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Benji  (31-07-2012),delirium  (31-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    My mum smoked a pack a day of ciggies while my sister and I rarely had new clothes, treats or holidays (maccas maybe once every 2 or 3 years). She smoked in the car and house with us there.

I don't care if she was 'addicted'. She was a selfish &$@!.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    My mum smoked a pack a day of ciggies while my sister and I rarely had new clothes, treats or holidays (maccas maybe once every 2 or 3 years). She smoked in the car and house with us there.

*hugs* yep, that's what I would class as selfish

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The smoking cigarettes while you had nothing new is not great, although if you are as old as me, things were very different back then in terms of health. But the not having maccas? That is a good thing no? Maccas is so unhealthy!

Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

flyawayfree  (31-07-2012),share a book  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    The smoking cigarettes while you had nothing new is not great, although if you are as old as me, things were very different back then in terms of health. But the not having maccas? That is a good thing no? Maccas is so unhealthy!
    I remember when I was young watching episodes of the Brady bunch where the mum and dad were warning one of the kids off smoking..my mum was puffing away next to us.

Ps re maccas so unhealthy I agree. But it was about the toys there not the food!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    I think maybe we just have different interpretations on the meaning of the word "selfish". To me, I would not consider getting a tattoo selfish in itself, as you're not doing something primarily for yourself to the detriment of those around you. Now, if you were to get said tattoo at a time where, say, your child really needed some new clothes as they had grown out of the current ones, and you put your own tattoo before purchasing clothes for your child (and couldnt afford them as a direct result), that is what I would consider as a selfish act. Putting yourself first occasionally and treating yourself isn't one and the same as being selfish IMO.
    That's where I was saying it doesn't have to be bad. Getting a tatyoo (for me, as in if I were to get one) would be a selfish decision on my part. It is only bad if it's to the detriment of others. Otherwise it is simply a decision I make that is for my sole benefit, making it, IMO, a selfish act.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I am so old they didn't have toys at Maccas when I was a kid

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

share a book  (31-07-2012)