+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Can he attend childcare ?

Hello There,

My son is 18months old. I plan to send him away to a childcare within the next 3months and return to work. My concern is that he is yet to learn the habit of chewing. He still takes mashed and pureed food for his meals. He snacks on arrowroot biscuit, butter cookies, cheese blocks and pretty much anything that can be mashed with his tongue and swallowed. He can bite using his front teeth but chewing with molars is not happening. He has 4 molars, and more than 10 teeth in total. During his meals he 'must' play with his toys or watch a children's video, if not he refuses to open his mouth. Also he takes at least 20mins to finish his meal.

He is quiet skinny, wont drink more than 80ml of milk, gets tired within 30mins of play. Otherwise he is quiet an interesting kid. He can kick around a ball, say a couple of words, offers his hands and legs while getting dressed up, understand what we talk and behave accordingly.

I am trying to hook him off the children's video during feeds. And am also showing him how to chew with my mouth. He sits with me while I have my lunch and will give him a few tiny bites off my plate. Sometimes he swallows, sometimes gag and sometimes it ends up in a spew. Hopefully he will learn to chew and swallow within the next couple of months.

Will there be any childcare which would accommodate special attention to his feeding issues ?

Thanks in advance for your time =)
    Last edited by momNbabie; 30-07-2012 at 19:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Childcare do what you tell them. If you say mashed food they will give him mashed food.

But I would use this as an opportunity for him to learn a new routine. I would explain to them how he currently eats and how you would like him to eat. They will help with that.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

momNbabie  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Other than family day care I doubt you will find that kind of special attention.
    BUT
    If you are trying to break the cycle it might be just what he needs. Eg at home ds insists on watching a DVD to go to sleep but at school he sleeps with no problem. I would try it out and see how he goes while your still at home.
    ETA they will follow instructions on what he eats but not how

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sure he will be fine at child care. We have had a few children with the same thing. Just be sure to tell the girls. Our cook makes various purées for the baby rooms and sends them down for lunch as well as the normal lunch. The staff will be sitting with the children at meal times. You might find that when he is in a new environment like that and watching 7 or so other children eating it might help a bit. I'm sure the toys thing would not be an issue but I don't think a video would happen, we don't even have TVs in our centre. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have a child with eating probs a d crèche has been a godsend. They sit all the 1-2 year olds down at tables with 1 staff member to each table of 4 kids and they help and encourage them. She has come along so well copying the other kids- I live crèche days as I know she eats a good amount on those days

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank u so much !

All of u have been so encouraging ! Im more hopeful now

now jus got to wait for the childcare waiting list to progress