+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What a nasty thread. I have absolutely nothing that makes me unfortunate but have heard some truly heart wrenching stories on BH and would hate to think that vulnerable people wouldn't feel comfortable sharing for fear of being judged as pathetic attention seekers

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (30-07-2012),austmum  (30-07-2012),beebs  (30-07-2012),BornToBe  (31-07-2012),GuestMember  (30-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (31-07-2012),shelle65  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    is it buttered popcorn? I love buttered popcorn!
    Nope

Can't afford that fancy "buttered" popcorn...have to stick with plain, no salt even.

....or perhaps I should claim lactose intolerance and therefore *can't* have that

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtyban View Post
    really??

wow.
    I often talk about my ****e upbringing ..i didnt realise it
    would be seen as competitive.

sorry..i will refrain from talking about it so as not
    to be seen as competitive
    I don't think that when I see your posts hun. I don't think this is what the OP is referring to, either.

I think she means somebody talking about, for example, how they are struggling with money. Another poster comes in and will say "oh well you think THAT'S hard, try dealing with this.........."

I know if I talk about work, some people will say "oh, well I work harder because I have a car loan that needs paying".... even if I haven't said that I work hard or long hours.

Does this make sense?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    really??

wow.
    I often talk about my ****e upbringing ..i didnt realise it
    would be seen as competitive.

sorry..i will refrain from talking about it so as not
    to be seen as competitive
    I don't think anyone would view that as being competitive

It is more trivial things like 'my baby is more difficult', 'i get less sleep' that kind of stuff. Like when someone mentions a difficulty, another person saying 'well i have it worse because....' and argue that their life is harder for whatever reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    is it buttered popcorn? I love buttered popcorn!
    You're lucky you get popcorn. I have to live in an old popcorn box ;p

Seriously though. I remember talking to the head of a big discount retail business and he said there has been a marked shift in people's attitudes to purchases over the years. The example he used was people used to say 'look at my diamond ring it cost *insert large amount of money here*'. Nowadays - particularly since the GFC - people will say 'look at my diamond ring i saved *insert large amount of money here* when I bought it'.

So people are no longer boasting about how much they have spent, rather how little they spent to get something worth far more than they paid.

Hence the market in 'discounts' has increased. From dollar stores to luxury subscriber only sites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    its pretty low.

right now my life positively sucks and i thought coming back here
    might make me
    feel better.. but one day in and this.

yuck
    but i am only saying this to be competitve and seek attention.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (30-07-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (30-07-2012),LoveLivesHere  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have not noticed much of this on BH but in real life yeah I feel like some of my friends and even family to want me to do something about their problems or that their problems are far worse then mine could ever be
    Last edited by Mod-Zeddie; 30-07-2012 at 17:09.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    People, dont take it personally. Not EVERY post on BH is related to specific members and their stories. I was talking in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    I don't think that when I see your posts hun. I don't think this is what the OP is referring to, either.

I think she means somebody talking about, for example, how they are struggling with money. Another poster comes in and will say "oh well you think THAT'S hard, try dealing with this.........."

I know if I talk about work, some people will say "oh, well I work harder because I have a car loan that needs paying".... even if I haven't said that I work hard or long hours.

Does this make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post

It is more trivial things like 'my baby is more difficult', 'i get less sleep' that kind of stuff. Like when someone mentions a difficulty, another person saying 'well i have it worse because....' and argue that their life is harder for whatever reason.
    Yes, those are what Im talking about. There is a difference between telling your story and seeking help/advice....and always trying to one-up people on how bad things are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    its pretty low.

right now my life positively sucks and i thought coming back here
    might make me
    feel better.. but one day in and this.

yuck
    but i am only saying this to be competitve and seek attention.
    no, not at all. I think what the OP means (and how I see it) is that people don't listen. Rather than say "oh I'm so sorry you are having this problem" they dismiss people and derail by talking about how many more issues they are having.

I hope things improve for you Ishty x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MothersMilk View Post

That's what I was referring to when I said about sympathy votes!