+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sids safe say there is no link at this stage - but they update their recommendations every few yrs so who knows if that will change in a few yrs time?

There are alot of products/chemicals that are allowed in AUS that are banned in other countries or not recommended - I don't think you can automatically take everything at face value.

Wasn't that many yrs ago BPA and smoking where considered safe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Odd, dss is 2 years old now and still fine.
    Yeah I kinda figured I just got a dodgy mattress. I actually had a different mattress first.
    Also a Babyhood one. Yet when I put it in the cot, there was a 3cm gap on the left and right side and a 4cm at the top and bottom between the mattress and the cot.
    Luckily I was on BH at that time and I had read that the maximum gap by law is supposed to be 1,5cm or less.
    So I brought the mattress back immediately. When I spoke to the shop owner on the phone, she didn't believe me.
    But when I took it in and she put a different Babyhood mattress next to it, you could see the big difference between the 2.

Another problem I had with Babyhood, was the cot itself. The droprail had a massive split on the side. The shopowner exchanged it with the droprail of the demo model as she had sold out of that particular model of cot.
    When trying to fit the droprail on my cot, it wouldn't fit. The demo model had metal sliding tracks and my cot had plastic sliding tracks and they were not compatible. It was such a strange thing as they were the same model, same colour, etc
    As I said, she had sold out of that model and it would take another 2 months before she got a new one in. They are made in Inodnesia I think she said.
    Bubs would be needing a cot already before then, so I suddenly was without a cot and now has just an extra thing to worry about. Babyhood was good about it though. They offered me a more expensive cot package for the same price as the old one.

So yeah, Babyhood was a bit of a hit and miss experience for me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was listening to Dr Karl the other day. Do you know what's bad about BPA? We all hear its nasty and banned in other countries, but do you understand the harm it does?

It's just a slight hormone change that would only happen in massive concentrations. We were miles under the limit.

So they eliminated BPA. And replaced it with chemicals with UNKNOWN side effects. They knew what the BPA side effects were and it was negligible.

All you need to hear to start an outcry is that it's banned in another country. Water is toxic if you consume enough of it.

I'm not trying to down play your fears, we all want what's best for our bubbas. You can go insane wondering about future chemical nasties or just go with the best info we have available to us.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (30-07-2012),Misschief  (30-07-2012),MoonstoneMare  (31-07-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yeh i know what your saying - this is why my instinct is always to go as natural as possible or getting older/2nd hand things that has probably had the nasties released (like clothes and stuff)

but both these things seem to go against SIDS recommendations.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    There are studies for and against BPA, but the largest concerns (from reliable scientific studies) are changes which have been noted in the early developmental stages (babies). My general rule of thumb is to avoid over exposure of chemicals, particularly in the earlier stages of life, where possible. I think excessive exposure to chemicals is directly impacting our health, particularly relating to the rise of cancers. Anyway...that's my 2 cents.

Button - We used organic cot mattresses. Look up eco babe and tetra tea tree. There are others too, i'm pretty sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go the older, firm one. Or the new, firm one.

If bub is due in the summer months, put the mattress in the full sunlight for several days to air it out and to let the sun do it's thing. Sunlight has antibacterial properties and it makes sense that it will do a great job at helping to release trapped toxins, etc.

DS had a second hand, firm mattress that I fully aired in direct sunlight with no problems at all.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and our cot mattresses (the organic ones) were quite firm btw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    One thing I wouldn't do is use a 2nd hand mattress (unless it's used within the same family). Unless I knew the history of a mattress I just wouldn't be lying a newborn on it. Again I realise the studies are inconclusive on this but if I had the choice between a new mattress and a 2nd hand one I would go with the new one and put it out to air if you are concerned.
    Last edited by Sonja; 30-07-2012 at 23:45.