+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Help pls - SIDS and mattresses???

Hey, I am still trying to work out what mattress to get for bubba due in November.

It is really doing my head and I just can't seem to make a decision I am comfortable with so I thought I would ask for some opinions - each option has pros and cons but I am wondering what none seem to outwiegh the other by any great measure?

So - I have been taking ALL the advice on board and still stumped
    1. New firm cot (recommended by SIDS, but I am not comfortable with the levels of toxins/gases in a new mattress. SIDS offical response is that there is no prooven link bw gases and SIDS 'at this time')
    2. Older firm cot (SIDS is kinda nuetral on this but you hear alot about a new mattress fro each bub. I read that it is the mould that coudl be a problem - so they recommend a mattress that is mould free. Plus side of an older cot is that all gases would have leached over 2yrs or so)
    3. New 100% organic cot (no risk of mould or toxic gasses which I like, however, it is softer then a normal cot and im concerned of the suffication risk? I was told the mattress shoudl not leave an imprint of your hand once you push on it and remove your hand - it should spring right back)
    4. New firm cot with on the special plastic covers that 'apparently' trap the toxic gasses? (SIDS don't comment on this much)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    bump???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Omg freaking out about the toxic mattress my two boys have slept on!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouNeedIsLove View Post
    Omg freaking out about the toxic mattress my two boys have slept on!!!!
    well i dunno how true it is - the official stance is no prooven connection and no change in existing policy so I have no idea tbh???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    To be honest, SIDS are not going to recommend or endorse a mattress or cot. If a baby died of SIDS on a "recommended" mattress or cot, then people would be suing them. Any SIDS approved mattress/cot is just the mattress company sucking in worried mums.

I bought my cot from target for $150 and it's still going strong after 4 years and will be good for my next baby as well. Mattresses, I used one that zipped undone so could wash in case of spew or wee or poo explosion!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 30-07-2012 at 20:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow didn't realize choosing a matress could be so complicated!!! I would go the organic one. So what if it's a little softer than the others... Doubt that would matter...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't be worried about toxins to be honest. If it worries you just leave it in a well ventilated place to breath for a few weeks before you use it. Where do you draw the line? I mean carpet and paint and everyday household stuff is probably made of the same stuff.

I use a mattress protector and a top sheet so there's quite a barrier between DDs face and the actual mattress. So many spews and it's never got through

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

ShanandBoc  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, toxic gasses eh? I wonder what causes these gasses.....
    At the time I was more worried about other things like having a premmie bub, making sure his clothes and linen were washed, making sure the house was babyproved, making sure he had a cot and nursery to sleep in, making sure I had my hospital bag ready, etc.

I bought a Tasman Eco cot mattress. Set me back by $300,- but it was a nice solid mattress and he needed that, being such a heavy boy. Never thought about toxic gasses though. I thought the price tag on it's own was enough to prove it was a good and safe mattress. I guess that was a bit naive of me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd buy a nice, firm mattress. If it was organic I'd consider it a bonus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    its basically this

Recent reports of biovolatilisation of phosphorus and antimony by anaerobic bacteria and of leaching of phosphorus and antimony fire-retardant additives from PVC cot mattress covers, indicate that the polyurethane inner-foam of cot mattresses could be a site for generation of toxic gases of group 15 elements. A toxic gas hypothesis for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) involving polyurethane foam of cot mattresses was proposed and tested experimentally. Levels of antimony, phosphorus, arsenic and bismuth were determined at four sites for 44 SIDS and 50 control (no death) cot mattress foams. There was no evidence to suggest that the levels of these elements in cot mattress foam have a causal relation to SIDS. Leaching of antimony trioxide from PVC mattress covers could account for detectable levels of this element in 52% of the cot mattress samples analysed. Volatile forms of antimony, phosphorus, arsenic and bismuth was not detected in the headspace of mixed or monoseptic cultures of anaerobic bacteria containing polyurethane foam. Past microbial activity had given rise to involatile methylated species of antimony in some of the cot mattress foams tested (61%, n = 24). Abiotic oxidation of biogenic trimethylantimony together with physical adsorption of methylantimony forms to the polyurethane foam matrix could account for the apparent absence of "escaped" volatile antimony species in culture headspaces of incubation vial. There was no evidence to suggest that levels of trimethylantimony or total methylantimony forms in cot mattress foams have a causal relation to SIDS.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11291741

I believe it is mostly the fire retardent chemicals that leach the most?

Again, I don't know how serious it is - it seems to be much more recognised in NZ but that could also be because there is a prodcut being pushed in NZ to contained these apparent gases?

I dunno - I am a person who would always prefer natural/organic for anything that they are going to be using sooooooooo much - but where do you draw the line and how do you know what is safest OVERALL. Not much point worry about gases and buying a mattress that is a huge suffocation risk.

I just so confused and probably overthinking it all - first time mum and all!