+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please Help - 14 weeks with severe wind and vomiting

My 14 week old has had wind and silent acid reflux since birth (4 weeks premmie), he hasn't slept for more than 2 hours since he was about 2 weeks old.

I have tried all the wind medicines and have had no luck, I have also tried changing formula (7 different formulas so far) with also no luck. He still has wind, farts and vomiting (vomiting about 80% of the time - it's not a constant like the wind - I am not really that stressed about the vomiting as it normally only comes up with he burps).

He has just got himself into an 8 hourly routine between feeds every night but his wind continues for the entire 8 hours so therefore he doesn't sleep and neither do i.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything else that I could possibly try?

He has a reflux wedge to sleep on, I have tried baths for the wind also.

Sometimes if we hold him upright he may sleep for a couple of hours. I am extremely exhausted and just need some help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you seen your GP? Could it be lactose intolerance? My DD was a bit the same but breastfed so I cut out dairy and a few days later, new baby. That was after having a gp check her over first. Goodluck, it is hard trying to figure them out.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaOJ For This Useful Post:

Elle78  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found keeping DD upright for as much as possible during the day helped. My doc suggested thickeners added to the formula but that just made it harder to get the wind up.

You can start solids soon, that might help. It will get better, I promise. It just takes time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Elle78  (30-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies!

Bubbie is breastfed with formula top up, I have tried the lactose intolerance with the breast and formula but with no go, he also sits in the footballer pose to feed so I try to keep him upright as much as possible - burping, playing etc

How would I go with starting solids soon? Do I start with the rice cereal at 16 weeks?

He sees the pediatrician again tomorrow but I usually just get told that it's time - that isn't helping me to sleep though.

I really appreciate any help - hoping to have some sleep soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you got him on any medication? I suggest speaking with the gp / paed about meds. The acid can burn the oesophegus and make things longer and harder to fix.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

Elle78  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi big hugs, been there! It does get better slowly, my DD now sleeps well but still very refluxy through the day...
    I found the best thing was when she started holding herself in a sitting position, she can move her wind easier now!
    A lot of people will shoot me down for saying this but I slept DD on her side, and it helped us a lot... roll up a face washer and prop one at their back, one in front so they cant roll. DD was able to move her legs up and into her belly at night and pass wind, meant I got a longer break!
    Also which formula have you got him on? I found Novalac was not as thick as Aptamil and didn't leave her as gassy...
    I started solids bang on four months, after her FF, and have found it helps to keep everything down a little more.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TnA For This Useful Post:

Elle78  (31-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply

I have had bubbie on his side in his reflux wedge for about 11 weeks now, the pediatrician was happy with that decision and its made a massive difference for his reflux and silent choking, unfortunately it hasn't really helped him with his wind.

I have tried 7 formulas but haven't yet tried Novalac so I will get some of that and give it a go. I think I will be trying solids as soon as he hits 4 months.
    The thickened formula worked wonders for his vomiting but made the burps harder to get up and created a lot of other wind.

Hopefully I can find something that works soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I unswaddled at 9 weeks to try and help her wiggle her wind out too. Think it helped a bit.

Any toys that keep them upright are your friend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elle78 View Post
    have tried the lactose intolerance with the breast and formula but with no go,
    I am not sure what you mean with this?? Your breast milk will contain lactose whether you eat lactose yourself or not, just the way cows eat grass and have lactose in their milk anyway.

Lactose intolerant babies can't be fed breast milk if it is bad.