+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe read the RACP (Royal Australasian College of Physicians) policy statement on circumcision:

http://www.racp.edu.au/download.cfm?...dname=filename

"After reviewing the currently available evidence, the RACP believes that the frequency of diseases modifiable by circumcision, the level of protection offered by circumcision and the complication rates of circumcision do not warrant routine infant circumcision in Australia and New Zealand".

From an ethical perspective, they discuss the role a parent has in making appropriate decisions for their children, and as a person who completely and utterly respect my sons autonomy, this part really stands out to me:

"Informed parental consent should include the possibility that the ethical principle of autonomy may be better fulfilled by deferring the circumcision to adolescence with the young man consenting on his own behalf".

These statements do not come from a biased website created by anti circ individuals. It is an *unbiased* medical perspective.

It is your son's penis. Let him choose.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 02-08-2012 at 09:20.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Momkey  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Beetle View Post
    You sure your interested in opinions? You're on a mainly female forum so telling us we have no idea what goes on really seems odd when you have sought our advice. I know plenty of men. Only 1 is circed. I have discussed circ with them many times as I'm one of those types of girl's. None of them have ever said they wish they had no foreskin. Those that have had problems have never said they wish they had been circed as a prevention.
    I meant no offense. I was simply thanking a few people. I do not appreciate being accused of not being grateful of EVERYBODY'S opinion. If I was not interested in opinions I would not have posted here in the first place. Clearly It is just easier for some people to go into attack mode when they believe their beliefs are being threatened. I was simply stating as women we don't have penis's so it is hard for us to comprehend what really goes on. I have no bias towards either side of the argument. If you refer back to my original post I clearly stated I am wanting advice from parents and family's whom have had to make a similar decision. I'm sure a lot of men as you mentioned, are grateful they were not circumcised. The idea does not thrill me either. I was just interested in what others had done. Thank-you for your input.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    Maybe read the RACP (Royal Australasian College of Physicians) policy statement on circumcision:

http://www.racp.edu.au/download.cfm?...dname=filename

"After reviewing the currently available evidence, the RACP believes that the frequency of diseases modifiable by circumcision, the level of protection offered by circumcision and the complication rates of circumcision do not warrant routine infant circumcision in Australia and New Zealand".

From an ethical perspective, they discuss the role a parent has in making appropriate decisions for their children, and as a person who completely and utterly respect my sons autonomy, this part really stands out to me:

"Informed parental consent should include the possibility that the ethical principle of autonomy may be better fulfilled by deferring the circumcision to adolescence with the young man consenting on his own behalf".

These statements do not come from a biased website created by anti circ individuals. It is an *unbiased* medical perspective.

It is your son's penis. Let him choose.
    Thank's Witwicky, I found that very interesting and have printed it out for my partner to read! Thanks again.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to addie7758 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Some points that are worth clarifying, perhaps.

First, how many boys are circumcised? Well, it depends on the age group. If we are talking infants (< 6 months), then about 12 per cent. For boys under 5 years of age, which is probably a better measure, then 15 per cent, and that includes routine, ritual and therapeutic. That is the national rate, but as people have noted this varies somewhat, depending on where you live. The lowest state rate (for <5 years) is Tasmania at 2.5 per cent, and the highest is NSW at 20pc. Regional Australian generally has a higher rate than urban centres.

Second, how many intact boys will need a circumcision later in life? The only empirical data on this has been published on this very site, in this thread. (This is actually pre-publication draft of a larger forthcoming article.) The short answer is that at least 93% of intact boys will never have a foreskin problem requiring a circumcision, based on hospital data for 2008.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (03-08-2012),Apple iPhart6  (06-01-2014),Witwicky  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    Yes...as far as I know. What are the stats on this?? Circumcision is so rare now. Those who are circumcised will definitely be in the minority. I don't know all the stats....that's why I said as far as I know. I'm not claiming to know everything....this is just my opinion!

There seems to be quotes going around between 10-20% for the nation, but I don't know if that is reflecting how many men are cut that are alive, or how many neonates they do each year.

The World Health Organisation estimates for males alive that are cut globally, is 665 million, which doesn't seem rare to me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimeparents View Post
    This desicion is a tuff one Hun. Just want to share my experience. Our ds1 we wanted to get done at birth but then he became very ill at 4 weeks old and close to dying so we decided against it. Fast forward to when he was 18 mths and he was getting infection every 2-3 weeks. At the advice of the urologist we had him circumcised at 2.5 yrs and it was so horrible to see him in so much pain that he could not pee. Broke my heart and he had to have 11 stitches we kept saying that his willy will now be better for ever. Not so after putting him through that horrible surgery he keeps getting infections so there may well be more internal issues causing it. He now has an aversion to the tpilet and wont go any where near a toilet amd is nearly 3 yrs old I guess what I am saying is that I wish that we had of got him done at birth so he wouldn't have remembered the surgery and all of the issues he us having. I know that he still has other issues, but at least he doesn't have foreskin problems any more. Hugs to you and no that what ever your decision you make it is the right one for your family. Until people have been in the situation of needing a circ for medical reasons then they do t understand. I can't imagine what your husband had to go through. Feel free to pm me if you
    Need to chat about it x

When men get done as an adult, it is more than 11 sutures, try about 30 or 40 sutures! You are in more pain, you remember that pain, you can't shower or bath for days, night time erections during healing are VERY painful, and your busting your nut for a month with no sexual release at all, just to name a few painful and uncomfortable issues associated with healing. I think I know what age I would have preferred.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BenTas83 For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (03-08-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My brother had to get his done as an adult and due to that and research we went with getting my son circumcised. Done in his 1st week and absolutely no issues. A little unsettled but apart from that he was fine. No regrets so far and he's 17mths old now

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lansta For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (03-08-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTas83 View Post
    When men get done as an adult, it is more than 11 sutures, try about 30 or 40 sutures! You are in more pain, you remember that pain, you can't shower or bath for days, night time erections during healing are VERY painful, and your busting your nut for a month with no sexual release at all, just to name a few painful and uncomfortable issues associated with healing. I think I know what age I would have preferred.
    I am not sure why you have quoted me and your reply seems to be quite rude. I never once said that having the procedure done as an adult is easier or less painful. I was simply giving the op my experience which is that of a mother to a 2.5 yr old.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to firsttimeparents For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (03-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BenTas83 View Post
    There seems to be quotes going around between 10-20% for the nation, but I don't know if that is reflecting how many men are cut that are alive, or how many neonates they do each year.
    See my post immediately above yours, first. As for all Australian men, if we combine child incidence data with known prevalence data, then in 2011 about 46% were circumcised (margin of error ±3%), though this is continuing to fall.

I gave the incidence for infants. Neonate means a baby up to 4 weeks of age. There is currently no way of estimating how many of the 12 per cent of infants who are circumcised are done as neonates.

As for global incidence, about 70% of circumcised males are Muslim. The continent with the largest proportion of circumcised males is Africa.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (03-08-2012),BenTas83  (02-08-2012),Witwicky  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by firsttimeparents View Post
    I am not sure why you have quoted me and your reply seems to be quite rude. I never once said that having the procedure done as an adult is easier or less painful. I was simply giving the op my experience which is that of a mother to a 2.5 yr old.
    I think he was clarifying that it was more than 11 stitches for an adult ... I don't think the rest of the post was directed at you.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (03-08-2012),BenTas83  (02-08-2012)