+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    This desicion is a tuff one Hun. Just want to share my experience. Our ds1 we wanted to get done at birth but then he became very ill at 4 weeks old and close to dying so we decided against it. Fast forward to when he was 18 mths and he was getting infection every 2-3 weeks. At the advice of the urologist we had him circumcised at 2.5 yrs and it was so horrible to see him in so much pain that he could not pee. Broke my heart and he had to have 11 stitches we kept saying that his willy will now be better for ever. Not so after putting him through that horrible surgery he keeps getting infections so there may well be more internal issues causing it. He now has an aversion to the tpilet and wont go any where near a toilet amd is nearly 3 yrs old I guess what I am saying is that I wish that we had of got him done at birth so he wouldn't have remembered the surgery and all of the issues he us having. I know that he still has other issues, but at least he doesn't have foreskin problems any more. Hugs to you and no that what ever your decision you make it is the right one for your family. Until people have been in the situation of needing a circ for medical reasons then they do t understand. I can't imagine what your husband had to go through. Feel free to pm me if you
    Need to chat about it x

2. The Following User Says Thank You to firsttimeparents For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with those who have suggested it is not a valid option without medical reason. The m word is offensive and should probably be avoided. I do understand what they mean though. For eg, it would be considered m to remove a limb without medical cause, but there are certainly medical reasons to remove a limb and in those cases it is not considered m but a therapeutic procedure. This is a similar situation IMO.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012),Apple iPhart6  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    It might be 20% or higher where you live, as generally more parents circumcise their babies in rural areas, but the national figure is about 10-14%!
    Nope when I googled it this afternoon it stated 20% in Australia were circumcised in 2011.

And nope it's not higher where I live here in the country at all because the public hospital here don't do the procedure at birth due to it being a small hospital and after speaking with close friends here that don't have their boys done would have had it been able to be done here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The amount of boys being circed now seems to be between 10 and 20% depending on which article you click on. Obviously there are more men in older groups that are circed as it was common back then.

This web page says less than 10% are now being circed in Australia, either way - it is the minority and will continue to be.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...s/Circumcision

I was also reading that not one medical organisation in the world recommends routine infant circumcision, That speaks volumes to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (06-01-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Nope when I googled it this afternoon it stated 20% in Australia were circumcised in 2011.

And nope it's not higher where I live here in the country at all because the public hospital here don't do the procedure at birth due to it being a small hospital and after speaking with close friends here that don't have their boys done would have had it been able to be done here.
    Brian Morris says 20%

I said rurally as well. Boys born in rural WA are 3 times more likely to be circumcised than those in the city. You can google that, too
    Last edited by BigRedV; 01-08-2012 at 21:51.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Leave him be, why take it off when really you don't need to. That's almost like saying lets remove our breasts just incase we get cancer one day..... Even though it's not in 'my' family?
    (sorry don't mean to seem insensitive)

Maybe when your son is older just Let him decide, as if he is having problems with it maybe he can take it into his own control and what not??

Hope you make a decision that suits

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Harliben For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Brunfelsia Dreaming View Post
    this web site address leads to many forms of information (books, websites, articles:l
    Here is another website that is very well referenced and informative. Might help if you want the "evidenced-based appraisal" of the pros and cons. It also has a link at the top that list several clinics in Australia that does the procedure. A phone call or an appointment with a doctor may help you will your decision making.

http://www.circinfo.net/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm sorry father - but what a biased website. I would liken it to someone anti vax posting a link to AVN

If you were really trying to help OP make an *informed* decision you wouldn't have posted that.

Try this OP - comes from Bupa (very reliable source) and has the Pros and Cons
    http://www.bupa.com.au/health-and-we...sion#happening

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012),Clementine Grace  (31-12-2013),wildoats  (20-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

It is truly a Hard decision to make, but remember there is a reason why boys have a foreskin, first and foremost if they didn't need it or it didn't have a purpose it wouldn't be there, particularly as a baby, it protects the penis and prevents infections, (you can google for more info about the role of the foreskin) especially when you think, in the early days where baby poo gets to inside a nappy.

And I agree with most of the others "what if" isn't a valid reason to me, but having seen your husband go through it, I can understand why you would consider it

The good news is there is always plenty of advice for and against out there and at the end of the day it is your decision and once made you'll be fine and probably relieved when you make it.

Good luck

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Littleyorkshirepudding For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by addie7758 View Post
    Thank-you BenTas 83 and Father. It's nice to have a males point of view on the issue. As my Husband also pointed out, as women we really have no idea what goes on down there! And thank-you to everyone who has been able to provide us with UN-bias advice. We certainty have a lot of food for thought. Thanks again!
    You sure your interested in opinions? You're on a mainly female forum so telling us we have no idea what goes on really seems odd when you have sought our advice. I know plenty of men. Only 1 is circed. I have discussed circ with them many times as I'm one of those types of girl's. None of them have ever said they wish they had no foreskin. Those that have had problems have never said they wish they had been circed as a prevention.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (06-01-2014),Witwicky  (02-08-2012)