+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't like the 'm' word either, I think it is unnecessary in this context. But - I don't agree with you that no loving mother or father would allow their child to be mutilated, fgm is massive (hundreds of millions) in the world and it is done by parents who love their children but believe their culture is right.

Quote Originally Posted by addie7758 View Post
    And in my opinion, anyone whom refers to circumcision as mutilation clearly is UN-educated in the topic. No loving mother or father would allow their child to be mutilated. As I stated earlier we just want what is best for our son.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (01-08-2012),Alexander Beetle  (02-08-2012),Apple iPhart6  (06-01-2014),HugsBunny  (30-12-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If it makes you feel any better, I have 4 boys and we have never had any problems, no infections or anything.

Anyway - as people have said, it is a difficult decision and the best you can do is read as much on the subject - pros and cons and decide with your partner what you feel is best.

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummymay View Post
    I went through the same thing as you. I agonised over it, should I get it done or not? My sons father had issues when he was younger which resulted in him being circumcised at age 12. He had a tight foreskin and it couldn't be retracted.
    In the end I decided not to do it, now I regret it!! My son (7yo) has the same issue. His foreskin is so tight it can't be retracted, he has had several infections since age 4. His foreskin is so tight that when he does a wee, it looks like the wee fills up the head then squirts out (sorry don't really know how to describe it). He is always telling me his doodle is sore, it's heartbreaking.
    The doctors have tried treating it with steroid cream to "stretch" the skin which has worked a little but it has now been decided by the pediatrician that the best thing to do is surgery.
    There is so much evidence for and against on this issue and everyone is going to have an opinion. I wish you and your husband luck with the upcoming birth of your son.
    May I pm u? I have a question about thiz

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    It is a tough decision. At the end of the day, the decision can only be made by yourself and your husband.

Some personal experience from me to reassure you regarding your above comments. When we found out our first child was going to be a boy, we spent weeks researching the pros and cons of circumcision. It was not an easy decision. But we came to the conclusion that the benefits outweighed the risks. It was easy enough to find a doctor to do it, and we had him booked in before he was born. The recovery was very quick, and he handled it all very well. He is now 5, with absolutely no issues and it has not come up at all in conversation... yet.
    When we found out our second was again a boy, the decision was much easier, having gone through it all before. Different state, different doctor, but the same result. We have absolutely no regrets.

In regard to parenthood, don't be scared of "doing something wrong". You are the best person to know what is best for your children. Good luck with it all. Don't be scared. You will be fine! Don't hesitate to PM me if you would like to discuss it with a parent who has gone through it a couple of times.

All the best with your decision making.
    Good luck with your decision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't read all the replies coz I know how these threads get. I'll just share my experiences.

When we found out our first was a boy, my husband insisted he be circ'd 'because he is'. I didn't think that was a good enough reason so did my research.

I read plenty of reasons for and against. I read forum posts by men who hated their mothers for circing them as babies, and posts from others hating their mum's for NOT having it done as babies. Posts by people wishing they'd gotten their baby'd circed earlier, those that wish they hadn't.

In the end, I just said no we're not doing it. He's perfect just the way he is, and if it needs to be done later in life, then fine, it will be done then, but not just so he looks like his dad. As soon as I made the decision I knew it was the right one. HUGE weight off my shoulders.

Personally I would prefer my son hate me for NOT getting a procedure done that he MAY need later down the track, than have my son hate me for getting an irriversable procedure done without his consent, and risk damaging him permanently for the rest of his life. Yes, the procedure is relatively 'safe' but complications can and DO happen. too much skin taken, infections, etc. I personally don't believe it's worth the risk.

Good luck with your decision lovely, I know it's a hard one
    Last edited by CazHazKidz; 01-08-2012 at 11:32.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (01-08-2012),Annabella  (02-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (01-08-2012),Witwicky  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KCT View Post
    Yes...as far as I know. What are the stats on this?? Circumcision is so rare now. Those who are circumcised will definitely be in the minority. I don't know all the stats....that's why I said as far as I know. I'm not claiming to know everything....this is just my opinion!
    About 20% of males are circumcised in Australia currently so really the procedure isn't as rare as some may think.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (01-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartiecat View Post
    May I pm u? I have a question about thiz
    Sure you can :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    this web site address leads to many forms of information (books, websites, articles:
    http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/are-y...-informed.html

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Brunfelsia Dreaming For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    About 20% of males are circumcised in Australia currently so really the procedure isn't as rare as some may think.
    20% of all men or 20% of babies being born??? I thought the stats of babies being circumcised were much much lower than that!! My DH is circumcised but he is 34 and it was more common back then! Apparently he was circumcised so he looked the same as his dad. This to me is totally ridiculous!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Momkey For This Useful Post:

addie7758  (02-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    It might be 20% or higher where you live, as generally more parents circumcise their babies in rural areas, but the national figure is about 10-14%!